Saturday, August 6, 2011

List: 15 Favorite Superhero Movies

Before the flurry of superhero movies crosses our paths during 2012, I've decide to compile a list of my favourite  movies in this particular category. By far one my favourite genres, I had to dwell a little bit in deciding whether movies such as The Matrix, Kill Bill, and V For Vendetta fits the bill. I ended-up concluding that only the latter qualifies. As things stand, I've yet to see movies such as Batman: Mask Of The Phantasm, any of the Blade movies, or Green Lantern.

*this list reflects the ranking according to the posted date because the positioning changes very frequently according to factors such as my mood or how many times I see a movie. And oh yeah, I don't care how much accurate they are with their source material.


Honourable mentions: The Incredible Hulk [2008], Hellboy [2004], Superman [1978], & Batman [1989]

#15 Superman 2 [1980]



I chose this movie over the original 1978 one simply because 3 villians (well 4 if you count Luthor) is always better than 1 (as in the first movie).

Selected Quote: President: "Oh, God!". General Zod: "Zod!"

#14 Batman Returns [1992]


Just one word needed: "MIOWW!!"

Selected Quote: "I am Catwoman. Hear me roar"

#13 Hellboy 2: The Golden Army [2008]


Director Guillermo del Toro has such a vivid imagination. It would have been interesting if he had stayed on to direct The Hobbit.

Selected Quote: Prince Nauda: "Kill me. You must. For I will not stop. I cannot".  Hellboy: "Sorry pal. I win, you live"

#12 Kick-Ass [2010]


Hit-Girl is the most awesome female assassin since The Bride from Kill Bill (hey, maybe I should have qualified Kill Bill to the list?)

Selected Quote: "With no powers comes no responsibilities"

#11 Spider-Man [2002]


I'm still a little put off by the fact that they're rebooting the franchise when the original is as good as this (plus its only been a decade)

Selected Quote: "Who am I? You sure you want to know?"

#10 Thor [2011]


A THORougly joyful and thrilling ride. Ahh, just cant wait for the inevitable banter between Thor and Tony Stark in next year's The Avengers. Its bound to be golden. One guy thinks he's a God, while the other is an actual God. Hah!

Selected Quote: "You know for a crazy homeless person... he's pretty cut"

#9 X-Men [2000]


Yes, this is probably the move that kick-started the modern superhero craze.

Selected Quote: "You owe me a scream"

#8 Spiderman 2 [2004]


Your friendly neighbourhood hero battles quite entertaining villains in the form of Doctor Octopus and also the emotional conflicts inside himself. A dazzling movie.

Selected Quotes: "I'm not an empty seat anymore. I'm different! Punch me, I bleed!"

#7 X2: X-Men United [2003]


"X" hits the spot. No matter how many times I watch this movie, I am always fully immersed. Nightcrawler provides an exciting addition.

Selected Quote: "You know all those dangerous mutants you hear on the news? I'm the worst one"

#6 X-Men: First Class [2011]


I was so moved by the scene where Magneto searches for true focus (that lies somewhere between rage and serenity) that by the time of the final battle scene where Banshee flew out of the the jet, I almost (key word: almost) shed some manly tears. Hahaha.

Selected Quote: Xavier: "Killing will not bring you peace". Erik: "Peace was never an option"

#5 Batman Begins [2005]


Anybody who'd seen Memento before, would have already well known how good a director Christopher Nolan is. But this is the movie where he announced his arrival to the world. And what a majestic announcement it was.

Selected Quote: "You must become more than just a man in the mind of your opponent"

#4 V For Vendetta [2006]


Evidence of the impact made by this movie is that the notorious hacker group "Anonymous" and other rebellion groups worldwide uses the Guy Fawkes mask from this movie as their symbol.

 Selected Quote: "Remember, remember, the Fifth of November, the Gunpowder Treason and Plot. I know of no reason why the Gunpowder Treason should ever be forgot"

#3 The Incredibles [2004]


Its an incredible (pun intended) achievement that this is the only movie with original superhero characters on the list. Its 60s settings and James Bond feel simply enhances the already jubilant mood you get from watching it.

Selected Quote: Edna: "I didn't know the baby's powers so I covered the basics". Helen: "Jack-Jack doesn't have any powers". Edna: "No? Well, he'll look fabulous anyway".

#2 Iron Man [2008]


Truthfully this movie could as well be named Tony Stark. Robert Downey Jr.'s performance is monumental.

Selected Quote: "Truth is... I am Iron Man!!"

#1 The Dark Knight [2008]


Sure the late Heath Ledger waltzed his way to an Oscar, but it was dumbfounding that Christopher Nolan was robbed from even a nomination for Best Director. It was also beyond flabbergasting that the movie got snubbed for a Best Picture nomination. The Dark Knight Rises next year has extremely unbelievable expectations.

Selected Quote: "Why so serious?" (were you really expecting any another quote?)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...