Wednesday, November 16, 2011

List: 10 Favourite Tom Hanks Movies


I've been wanting to watch Larry Crowne, the latest movie from Tom Hanks (which also stars Julia Roberts) for quite some time now but only managed to do so last week. This eagerness of mine is mainly driven by Tom Hanks. He has stared in some of the biggest and best movies in cinematic history. According to Box Office Mojo, he is the actor whose movies has grossed the most money ever in the U.S with over $4 Billion. On top of that he has also won 2 Oscars. Hence, its only fitting that I come up with a list like this one.

Although Larry Crowne was largely ill-received by critics, I have to say that I actually enjoyed the movie. It was an easy and laid back film with plenty of laughs. Does it rank amongst his best movies? Easy question. No. Not even as an "Honourable Mention". But I have to say that I was entertained. So which movies of his does earn a spot on the list? Here they are:

# Honourable Mentions:
Catch Me If You Can (2002), Charlie Wilson's War (2007), Big (1988)

#10 You've Got Mail (1998)


Cute and charming. I might be in the minority, but I actually prefer this movie than that other Tom Hanks-Meg Ryan romantic comedy which was also directed by Nora Ephron, Sleepless In Seattle (1993).

Selected Quote: Nelson Fox: "Perfect. Keep those West-Side liberal nuts. Pseudo-intellectuals...". Joe Fox: "Readers, Dad. They're called readers". Nelson Fox: "Don't do that son. Don't romanticise them".

#9 Road To Perdition (2002)


The thinking man's movie. Each and every character has conflicted motivations and feelings. Just the way I like it to be then.

Selected Quote: "Natural law. Sons are put on this earth to trouble their fathers".

#8 Splash (1984)




I'm sure everyone has been asked the question: "Who was your first ever crush?". Well I'm not entirely sure who the EXACT first one was to me. It definitely wasn't a teacher of mine, it could possibly have been a childhood friend, but Daryl Hannah from this movie was definitely one of my earliest crushes.

Selected Quote: "I'm a really nice guy. If I had friends you could ask them".

#7 Saving Private Ryan (1998)


I have never been in an actual war. Ever. I don't think I have any relatives who've fought in a war. Not a granddad, not a long distance uncle, none to my knowledge what so ever. I don't even personally know of  anyone who has been in one. Not even as a Navy cook. But I do however wholeheartedly believe that the opening scene in Saving Private Ryan is the most realistic depiction of war ever!

Selected Quote: "He better be worth it. He better go home and cure a disease, or invent a longer-lasting bulb".

#6 The Terminal (2004)


For starters, let me say that I was intrigued by the premise of the story even way before the movie was been released. This film received mix reviews from critics. As for me? I've probably seen it around 8-9 times. And for every single viewing, Its been nothing short of entertaining.

Selected Quote: Salchak: "You've been waiting years for me to either drop dead or retire...". Frank Dixon: "No, I haven't been waiting for you to retire".

#5 Apollo 13 (1995)


An amazingly stunning film. It also boasts one of the most memorable quotes in history (see below).

Selected Quote: "Houston, we have a problem".

#4 Cast Away (2000)


Note to the contestants of reality TV show Survivor: True survival is achieved when you are all alone like Chuck was in this movie.

Selected Quote: "I couldn't even kill myself the way I wanted to. I had power over nothing!"

#3 Forrest Gump (1994)

Photo credit to crimecontrol@deviantart
Won the Best Picture award at the 1995 Oscars which is an outstanding achievement because to me, that year was the tightest Oscar race so far in history (Pulp Fiction and Shawshank Redemption were also contenders). Although my pick for the win was that certain prison movie with Tim Robbins and Morgan Freeman in it, that doesn't change the fact that this is a complete gem of a movie.

Selected Quote: "Run, Forrest! Run!"

#2 The Green Mile (1999)


There are sometimes movies that leave you stunned and overwhelmed. You need some time to compose yourself while taking in all the awesomeness you've just encountered. These types of movies offer what I like to call "The Ultimate Cinematic Experience". The Green Mile is one such movie. The scene in the photo above is just one of many proofs.

Selected Quote: "I've done somethings in my life I'm not proud of, but this is the first time I've ever felt in real danger of hell".

#1 "The Toy Story Trilogy" (1995, 1999, and 2010)


If you've read this blog before you'll know what colossal affection I have towards Pixar movies. Its a good thing I've decided to combine all three movies for one spot, otherwise first, second, and third place on this list would all be taken by a Toy Story movie from the trilogy.

Selected Quote: "There's a snake in my boot!"

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...