Thursday, January 12, 2012

List: 20 Favourite Movies Of 2011 (Part 2)

In yesterday's post, I featured Part 1 of my 2011 Favourite Movies where I listed down rankings #20 until #11. In Part 2 today, we will continue with the countdown. Despite me saying yesterday that 2011 falls behind a bit compared to the previous few years in terms of overall movie quality, I enjoyed these following 10 films immensely and will be watching them again plenty more times in the future. So here we go with Part 2:

#10 Win Win


A touching story, abundance of witty humour, and rich, entertaining characters gives Win Win the "Win" (I know, bad pun joke). Paul Giamatti delivers a solid performance as usual, but its the best friend/assistant coach character played by Bobby Cannavale in this movie that is my favourite. He is just freaking hilarious.

Selected Quote: "This is your place! This is your place! You control it! Remember? You control it!"

#9 Thor


I mentioned before how much I love Super-heroes, and this kicked-off the Super-hero filled summer with a bang. Hopefully the same impact will be achieved this summer when Thor appears in The Avengers.

Selected Quote: "Myeuh-muh? What's Myeuh-muh?"

#8 X-Men: First Class


Forget "Team Edward or Team Jacob", because the real debate should be "Team Xavier or Team Magneto". Despite Erik Lehnsherr aka Magneto being a villain, you could never say he was actually evil, or at the very least he had understandable motives. And never has it been more apparent than in this prequel movie. 

Selected Quote: Professor Charles Xavier: "Listen to me very carefully, my friend. Killing will not bring you peace" Erik Lehnsherr: "Peace was never an option"

#7 Rise Of The Planet Of The Apes


My expectations before seeing this movie was very low. I'm not very fond of remakes/reboots/prequels plus it had a pretty silly and long title. But my, oh my, was I wrong. A stunning blend of great story-telling, wonderful acting, and mind-blowing special effects.

Selected Quote: "I swear, you know everything about the human brain except how it works"

*Read full movie review here

#6 Warrior


I know plenty of friends who like to think themselves as "tough guys" but ended up shedding man-tears at the end of the movie just like me, heh. Emotionally gripping, action packed, and with strong performances from the main cast. Shame it didn't do to well at the box-office.

Selected Quote: "I think I liked you better when you were drunk"

*Read full movie review here

#5 Arthur Christmas


With Cars 2 being a let-down, it was looking like no animation from 2011 would be on my favourite list. Sure, Rango and Rio were entertaining, but I don't think they'll stand the test of time. As an animation fan (particularly Pixar), I was left disappointed. But just like in the movie itself, out came Arthur Christmas at the very last minute to save the day.

Selected Quote: Grandsanta: "Arthur, there is a way" Arthur: "It's impossible" Grandsanta: "They used to say it was impossible to teach women to read. Follow me"

*Read full movie review here

#4 50/50


This film managed to showcase the light-side of tragedies. Probably one of the best promotional tool ever for a cancer awareness campaign. And Joseph Gordon-Levitt really has amassed together a pretty impressive resume.

Selected Quote: "That's what everybody's been saying. You'll feel better, and don't worry, and this is all fine..... and it's NOT!!"

*Read full movie review here


#3 Project Nim


 A very last minute inclusion on the list. I'm not sure yet if this documentary's high positioning has to do with me just freshly finished viewing it, but there's no doubting its quality. A real-life Planet Of The Apes story (without the conquering earth and enslaving humans part, but definitely similar to the movie at #7) set in the 1970s. You'll be left with a profoundly haunting experience after watching this feature!!

Selected Quote: "It's the humans I wanted to leave. Not the chimp!"

#2 Drive


You could very much say that 2011 has been "The Year Of Ryan Gosling" because he gave solid performances in three very good films. The Ides Of March and Crazy, Stupid, Love both were very entertaining features (check out where I positioned them in Part 1 of the list), but I'm very certain that in Drive, we have a modern day classic. The sort of movie you one day recommend to your kids or grand-kids.

Selected Quote: "If I drive for you, you give me a time and place. I give you a five minute window, anything happens in that five minutes and I'm yours, no matter what. I don't sit in while you're running it down. I don't carry a gun. I drive"

#1 Submarine


It is beyond travesty that this quirky, smart, and funny film only managed to gross a little over $800,000 worldwide when super over-hyped films like Breaking Dawn and Dark Of The Moon make billions of dollars. Not only is it the most under-rated movie of the year, but also in my view, the very best.

Selected Quote: "Jordana and I enjoyed an atavistic, glorious fortnight of lovemaking, humiliating teachers and bullies in the week. I have already turned these moments into the Super-8 footage of memory"

*Read full movie review here 


*****************************************************************

Finally, since I love compilation videos so much, let's take another look back at the movies of 2011 in another compilation video, Cinescape 2011 by Matt Shapiro. Its still not as good as Filmograpahy 2010 (the ultimate compilation video) but probably on par with that other awesome video, Fimlography 2011.


2 comments:

  1. pertaining to Rise of the Apes :My expectations before seeing this movie was very low <-- aku sgt setuju..aku masuk tgk cerita nih not expecting much..beruk2 cerita nih mmg stole the show

    ReplyDelete
  2. try checking out "Project Nim"... its very similar to "Rise Of The Planet Of The Apes", but in real-life!!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...