Thursday, January 19, 2012

List: 7 Favourite Zombie Movies


One of the most addictive TV series currently running is zombie flick, The Walking Dead. Not only does it offer genuine suspense and an intriguing story line, but there are plenty of deep and rich characters on display. But you would expect that considering that the producer of this series is one Frank Darabont, whom many might remember directed two all-time outstanding movies, The Shawshank Redemption [1994] and The Green Mile [1999].

Which brings me to the topic of zombie movies. First of all, let me say that I am by no means a fan-boy of the genre. Heck, I'm not even that into horror movies. I mean I do enjoy them, its just that I'm not as enthusiastic as I am towards other movie genres. I find most zombie movies predictable and repetitive, which is the opposite of The Walking Dead. Let's just say that in terms of "apocalypse-human survival" type of movies, alien invasion films are waaay ahead on my preference list. Having said that, each and everyone of the zombie movies on this list managed to entertain me. But please remember that this line-up is from a non zombie-purist point of view. Here goes the countdown:

#7 Dawn Of The Dead [1978]


A compelling flick from zombie godfather, George A. Romero. There's one problem I have with this film compared to the Zack Snyder remake, which is also the case with most other classics films. It is none other than the slow-moving zombies. When you can casually run pass while also nudging these creatures, its hard to believe an army or even a police force weren't able to stop them.

Selected Quote: "One stop shopping; everything you need, right at your fingertips"

#6 Shaun Of The Dead [2004]


One way to get pass the slow-moving zombie dilemma as mentioned above in #7 is by making it a comedy! And with Simon Pegg and Nick Frost teaming-up with director Edgar Wright, you could almost guarantee loads of laughs and fun.

Selected Quote: "For a hero, you're quite a hypocrite!"

#5 Dawn Of The Dead [2004]


Although billed as a remake of George A. Romero's classic, other than the title and shopping mall location, this is very much its own movie. I know this will upset many purists, but in my view this is also the better movie. This movie along with 300 [2006] showcases Zack Snyder's true abilities as a director because his other two films, Watchmen [2009] and Sucker Punch [2011] to me were complete disasters (haven't seen his other feature, Legend Of The Guardians: The Owls Of Ga'Hoole [2010] yet). Worrying times ahead for Man Of Steel [2013]. Hopefully Christopher Nolan's presence can save that movie.

Selected Quote: "I've been to a lot of funerals. Folded the flag, and given it to a lot of wives and fathers and kids. And I told them how sorry I was. But that's never really what I was feeling. In the back of my mind, I was saying, 'Better them than me'. But I don't believe that now. Because now I realise that there are some things worse than death, and one of them is sitting here, waiting to die"

#4 Night Of The Living Dead [1968]


Although not the first zombie film being made, it can easily be said that this was the pioneer of the entire genre. This classic from George A. Romero had plenty of interesting characters but none more so than the one played by Judith O'Dea, Barbara (photo above). It was also refreshing (okay, maybe "refreshing" isn't the most suitable word, because this was one of the earlier zombie films) that the zombies were not caused by a virus like other movies, but from radiation from a fallen satellite.

Selected Quote: "They're coming to get you Barbra! There's one of them now!"

#3 Zombieland [2009]


Not only is this one of the best zombie films, but it can also pass as one of the funniest comedies of the past few years. The "Zombie Survival Rules/Guide" and "Zombie Kill Of The Week" being featured is the stuff of legends!

Selected Quote: "The first rule of Zombieland: 'Cardio'. When the zombie outbreak first hit, the first to go, for obvious reasons... were the 'fatties' "

#2 28 Days Later [2002]


This movie perfectly exemplifies why fast-running zombies are better for movies than the traditional slow-moving ones. It creates an abundance more suspense and adrenaline-pumping thrills. But perhaps what make this film greater is that the zombies are not the only threat to the survivors (not giving away any more spoilers!)

Selected Quote: "What do you mean there's no government? There's always a government, they're in a bunker or plane somewhere!"

#1 28 Weeks Later [2007]


Just like 28 Days Later [2002], this sequel generated a truckload of suspense, thrills, and a non-zombie threat. I even considered giving these two features are tie for first place. In the end this flick got the photo-finish win thanks to the family conflict that drives the plot. Awesome piece of film-making.

Selected Quote: "It all makes sense. They're executing code red. Step 1: Kill the infected. Step 2: Containment. If containment fails, then Step 3: Extermination"


***********************************************************

To end things off, here's an infographic from Yahoo Movies guiding us about "How dangerous is a zombie?" It lists down plenty of zombie movies and sorts them out according to how fast and smart the zombies are.

CLICK ON THE PHOTO FOR A LARGER VIEW.


8 comments:

  1. heh, it does show that you're not really a horror fan but xpa..to each their own..
    I do however agree that Dawn of the Dead remake was pretty neat..one of the best remakes out there..and yes better than the original (mau ada bunuh aku gak sbb ni)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Heh, that's right, not really a fan. I judge them based on their standalone-movie-qualities, not from their genre-qualities. I'm not even into gory stuff too. What would be your favourites?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great list, I prefer Days to Weeks, love the Dawn remake, love Night, love Zombieland, love Shaun and love The Walking Dead so I'm with you almost 100%. Tried Colin the super cheap zombie film but didn't much like it. Also steer clear of The Zombie Diaries. Pretty crap. But Rec is kinda zombies and that's awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've actually never heard of The Zombie Diares. Thanks for dropping by Pete!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Would the Crossed count as a zombie? The Crossed are people who have been infected by physical contact with the bodily fluids (spit, semen, blood, etc.) of another Crossed. They're called Crossed because when they're infected, a cross-shaped marking made of decayed flesh covers their face. The infection is a horrifying one, because the people who are infected by it can still keep their intelligence intact (meaning they can set complex traps and travel in organized groups) and have enhanced muscular strength. The mental effects of the infection are immediate, making it so that the infected start committing the darkest things that they know of, including rape, torture, and dismemberment. They especially do it to the uninfected to infect them, if they haven't already torn them apart by the time they get to it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm not familiar with The Crossed but from your description, I guess, yeah, it could be considered a zombie.

      Delete
  6. Very helpful blog! It is easy to use, and answered all my questions! I will be back after I finish my first set of Zombie movies I got from the list!
    Check out our Pseudo-Zombie Films page to find out what's what

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, but I can't really say I'm a hard-core zombie movie fan. I do watch the popular ones though.

      I'll be sure to check your site out!

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...