Tuesday, January 17, 2012

Tarantino's Favourite Movies Of 2011


So, yesterday The Golden Globe Awards was being held. But I'm not going to discuss that today, instead I'm going to focus on an "awards list" compiled by a very influential film maker. One of my all-time favourite director, Quentin Tarantino has revealed his favourite films of 2011 and made it available on The Tarantino Archives. As a huge cinema fan he has always had a gigantic knowledge of movies. Here not only does he lists his 11 favourites of the year but also the other movies he liked, a "nice try" award, and selects his best director and screenplays. He raised some eyebrows in his favourites (Green Lantern and Green Hornet?). Also I'm still not sure what he means by "nice try", but interesting to see one of my favourite movies of 2011, Drive [2011] in that category. He also listed his worst movies of the year. Since I tend to avoid movies I know I wouldn't enjoy nowadays, I've only seen two films from that category. But I totally agree with him on Sucker Punch [2011]. Quite frankly everyone has their best and worst movies of the year, but what I really found intriguing was the "nice try" category. Would've wanted to find out more about what he found that worked and didn't in those films.

* update: apparently the "Worst Films" has been removed from the original Tarantino Archives post, but had already been reported by other sites. It is still included here too.

Quentin Tarantino's Official Top Eleven Of 2011:

1) Midnight In Paris
2) Rise of The Planet Of The Apes
3) Moneyball
4) The Skin I Live In
5) X-Men: First Class
6) Young Adult
7) Attack The Block
8) Red State
9) Warrior
10) The Artist / Our Idiot Brother (tie)
11) The Three Musketeers

Others He Liked (in no particular order):

* 50/50
* Beginners
* Hugo
* The Iron Lady
* Carnage
* Green Hornet
* Green Lantern
* Captain America
* The Descendants
* My Week With Marilyn
* Fast Five
* The Tree Of Life
* The Hangover Part 2
* Mission Impossible 4 - Ghost Protocol
* The Beaver
* Contagion
* The Sitter
* War Horse

Nice Try Award:

* Drive
* Hanna
* Drive Angry
* Real Steel

Best Director:

* Pedro Almodovar
* Bennet Miller
* Woody Allen
* Jason Reitman
* Michel Hazanavicius

Best Original Screenplay:

* Midnight In Paris
* Young Adult
* Red State
* Attack The Block
* Our Idiot Brother
* Beginners

Best Adapted Screenplay:

* Moneyball
* The Skin I Live In
* Carnage
* Rise Of The Planet Of The Apes
* Hugo
* X-Men: First Class

Worst Films:

* Sucker Punch
* Potiche (Trophy Wife)
* Miral
* Insidious
* Rampart
* Straw Dogs
* Paranormal Activity 3
* Meek's Cutoff

2 comments:

  1. now this is a list I would trust! (and urs of course) .. most critics have Melancholia in it which I thought was meh.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Still not sure what Green Lantern and Green Hornet is doing on the list though. At the end of the day everyone has their favourites and worst films. We can debate all we like... but, the "nice try" is very intriguing... it probably means there were things he liked and didn't... would have loved to read that.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...