Tuesday, February 14, 2012

List: 25 Favourite Romantic Movies

So, today is Valentine's Day and as promised, to keep up with the theme, here are my 25 Favourite Romantic Movies. My largest number of movies in one post so far. I had a lot of trouble to determine what movies can be categorised as "romance" seeing that almost every movie, including action and horror, has at least some element of love in it. I guess the romance bit has to be huge part of the film's fabric even if it isn't the main theme. Amongst the movies I had to dismiss from the romance category was one of my all-time favourite films, Pixar's Up [2009] and my Favourtite Movie Of 2011, the quirky coming-of-age feature, Submarine [2011]. I've also decided to keep the love stories strictly among humans (an excuse to cram in more films on the list), so with that, my Favourite Pixar Movie so far, WALL- E [2008] also isn't listed (but I've put it on a "Special Jury Award" at the end of the post). Making this list and seeing so many movie choices has made me realise how much in denial I have been all this time because apparently I do love this genre very much! So on we go now...

# Honourable Mentions

In no particular order are.... # Ghost [1990] (a bit cheesy.. but still entertaining) # Starman [1984] (apparently not all John Carpenter movies are horror, Jeff Bridges gives an awesome performance) # Wedding Crashers [2005] (hilarious!!) # There's Something About Mary [1998] (that hair gel!) # Shallow Hal [2001] (another movie from the Farrelly Brothers) # Crazy, Stupid Love [2011] (probably not in the line-up because its still new) # You've Got Mail [1998] (gotta love Tom Hanks and Meg Ryan) # Serendipity [2001] (already got two Cusack films in the final 25) # Splash [1984] (childhood memories)

#25 Notting Hill [1999]


The story is rather trite, but the final execution, humour, and Ronan Keating's song makes this a rather enjoyable flick.

Selected Quote: Spike: "There's something wrong with this yogurt" William: "Ah, that's not yogurt, that mayonnaise..."

#24 Love Actually [2003]


The final scene which involves a kid running through the airport to stop a girl just before she goes on her flight might be stretching it too far for my liking. But overall, this ten-stories-combined-into-one provides great escapism.

Selected Quote: "Hiya kids. Here is an important message from your Uncle Bill. Don't buy drugs. Become a pop star, and they give you them for free!"

#23 Harold And Maude [1971]


If you find the idea of a film where a 79 year woman has a relationship with a young man (how old is Harold? I don't know. 20? teenager?) creepy, consider this following fact. There must be something special about a movie when a woman that old is considered a "manic pixie dream girl".

Selected Quote: "I haven't lived. I've died a few times"

#22 Flipped [2010]


Ah, the sweetness and charm of childhood romance. Dare I say it, but this might be as good as director Rob Reiner's other kid movie, Stand By Me [1986].

Selected Quote: "The way she ignored me was a constant reminder that I've been a jerk"

#21 Beauty And The Beast [1991]


I hate it whenever I hear people say something like: "Why is that movie being nominated for an Oscar? Its a freaking cartoon!". Get over it guys. Some animated films provides some of the best storytelling and emotional connection you could ever find.

Selected Quote: "We don't like what we don't understand. In fact it scares us. And this monster is mysterious at least..."

#20 Edward Scissorhands [1990]


Ah, the film that started my love for Tim Burton, Johnny Depp, and Winona Ryder. This modern-day fairytale is magically stunning.

Selected Quote: Kim: "Hold me" Edward: "I can't"

#19 Roman Holiday [1953]


Audrey Hepburn's American film debut. And she proves here why she is one of the most stunning and luminous women to have ever lived. I simply adore everything about her.

Selected Quote: "At midnight I'll turn into a pumpkin and drive away in my glass slipper"

#18 Lost In Translation [2003]


I understand why some people regard Sofia Coppola's films as tedious and boring. But Bill Murray's performance in this movie might just add that missing ingredient needed for those with short attention spans.

Selected Quote: "Its Suntory time!"

#17 Annie Hall [1977]


This Woody Allen film probably started a whole lot of trends. The serious and honest interpretation of male-female relationships. The talking to the camera in movies. The Annie Hall fashion style. Diane Keaton is pure delight in this film.

Selected Quote: "La-Di-Dah"

#16 When Harry Met Sally [1989]


Is it really any wonder why Meg Ryan was an "American Sweetheart"?

Selected Quote: "I'll have what she's having"

#15 Easy A [2010]


An absolutely hilarious movie. Oh, and Olive's parents are probably the coolest parents in the entire universe.

Selected Quote: Marianne: "There's a higher power that will judge you for you indecency" Olive: "Tom Cruise?"

#14 Up In The Air [2009]


A smart and engaging story with charismatic performances from its three main characters. Director Jason Reitman is proving to be one to look out for.

Selected Quote: Alex: "He broke up with you over text message?" Ryan: "That's kind of like firing someone over the Internet"

#13 Say Anything [1989]


The quintessential 80s teen movie. The first of both John Cusack and director Cameron Crowe's movies on this list. Read full review here.

Selected Quote: "I gave her my heart, she gave me a pen"

#12 Groundhog Day [1993]


We've all dreamed of living a particular day of our lives over and over again. Bill Muray here gets to actually do that. Its just not the day that he wanted.

Selected Quote: "Well what if there was no tomorrow? There wasn't one today"

#11 Tangled [2010]


I know the story is rather simple and predictable (it is based on classic fairy tale after all), but everything just works together to create a massively enchanting feature. Even Quentin Tarantino listed it 5th on his favourite movies of 2010. Also the scene in the photo above when viewed in 3D is simply breathtaking.

Selected Quote: "I have a dream"

#10 Garden State [2004]


Its a mystery why Zach Braff isn't directing or writing more movies. I'm not buying into the one-hit-wonder theory. Just not yet. This is one of the best feel-good films of all time. The soundtrack is legendary too.

Selected Quote: "Sidecars are for bitches"

#9 High Fidelity [2000]


Love stories and music often come hand-in-hand don't they. John Cusack once again charms while Jack Black also puts up a delightful performance.

Selected Quote: "I knew there was a reason I wore a skirt today"

#8 Jerry Maguire [1996]


Director Cameron Crowe's best effort. Also, Tom Cruise proves no matter how wacky he is in his personal life, on-screen he is as charismatic as ever.

Selected Quote: "You had me at hello..."

#7 Eternal Sunshine Of The Spotless Mind [2004]


If it wasn't weird enough watching Jim Carrey in a non-comedic role, the story is the strangest take on love I have ever seen. This will probably be a timeless classic.

Selected Quote: "Random thoughts for Valentine's Day, 2004. Today is a holiday created by greeting card companies to make people feel like crap"

#6 The Graduate [1967]


The movie that apparently inspired the character in the movie (500) Days Of Summer [2009]. Full of humour, drama, and great music

Selected Quote: "Mrs. Robinson, if you don't mind me saying so, this conversation is getting a little strange"

#5 Before Sunset [2004]


Obviously this movie is not for everybody because the entire film is just two people talking. But what makes this such a great romance film is probably the same for the movie at #4 below...

Selected Quote: Celine: "Do I look any different? [long pause] I do?" Jesse: "I'd have to see you naked"

#4 Before Sunrise [1995]


Just like its sequel in #5, this movie is a whole lot of talking between two characters. But that is the magic and joy of love: CHEMISTRY. When, you have that chemistry, talking together and being together is all you want.

Selected Quote: "Isn't everything we do in life a way to be loved a little more?"

#3 Amelie (Le Fabuleux destin d'Amelie Poulain) [2001]


My favourite ever non-English film. Quirky, charming, funny, and feel-good all in one movie.

Selected Quote (translated): "At least you'll never be a vegetable... even artichokes have hearts"

#2 Once [2007]


I actually think that the extremely low budget the film had actually worked in its favour. Just like the acoustic music featured, the movie has a strip-down feel to it. Simple acoustic music is often performed in a small area compared to big-budgeted concerts. And these performances bring an authentic and intimate feel to the audience, just like what this film achieves. We don't even learn the names of the characters, but we don't even care.

Selected Quote: Boy: "What's the Czech for 'do you love him?' " Girl: "Milujes ho" Boy: "So... milujes ho?" Girl: "Miluju tebe" Boy: "????"

#1 (500) Days Of Summer [2009]


The realistic love story. The movie teaches us that when we are in a relationship we only see the good things, if we look back, we might see plenty of bad things too.

Selected Quote: "I love us"


********************************************************

# Special Jury Award

As mentioned in the intro, I've decided to keep this list to romance between humans, but WALL-E [2008] is very much a love story, and an utterly great one too.


Also deserving a special award is this scene in another Pixar film, Up [2009]. A fellow blogger wrote that this scene was one of The Best Moments In Film History. I couldn't agree more. I can never grow tired of this scene below:

13 comments:

  1. cool list..a few of em I haven't seen, believe it or not I have not seen Harry Met Sally (but I am aware of that very famous scene)

    and u put in Flipped! and Amelie...yay, I think I should rewatch Amelie..it's been awhile

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love Amelie... I heard some other of Audrey Tautou's French films are good too... haven't seen them yet though...

    ReplyDelete
  3. I see a title that says romantic movies and I think I'm going to hate most on the list but this is a brilliant list. Love a lot of these, like some, dislike only a few and still need to see a few. No bloody awful rom-coms. That's the main thing!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I know. Its a natural reaction when guys see the words "romanctic". Thanks for dropping by and commenting Pete!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love that you put 500 days of summer as your #1. I agree with most of your picks. Great list!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I can never grow tried of 500 Days... thanks for dropping by Andina!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Finally I get to land on a blog that has actually given an animated film a rank in the top ten romantic movies of all time, it was good of you.http://easyday.snydle.com/top-10-romantic-movies.html

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love animations! I'll check out your list soon, thanks for dropping by!

      Delete
  8. i believe that 500 days of summer wasn't a love story. at least that was what the narrator said during the first part of the story. it is a story about boy meets girl. he warned us thought that it was not a love story. ahahaha

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi lelouch! Thanks for dropping by! Yeah, the tagline for the movie was "this is not a love story.... but a story about love". It isn't the typical love story... but I'm being liberal with the rules for this list! :)

      Delete
  9. You know whenever any rainy day comes at my weekend, and then I watch mostly ‘Romantic movies but only best movies of all time. Through your blog, I also got a nice collection of such movies to keep it into my store too.

    ReplyDelete
  10. It's a great entertaining post. Your post was really enjoyable for everyone.If you want more information about new movie please Click here

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...