Wednesday, March 7, 2012

Looking Forward To These Documentaries...

When I wrote my New Year's Movie Resolutions post earlier this year I forgot to list down one other thing that I wanted to do more in 2012, which is watch more documentary-films. Because let's face it, reality always offer very interesting and thought-provoking entertainment. I've never been someone who've watched a lot of this genre before but the ones that I did manage to catch, I usually end up loving to bits. In fact I placed Project Nim [2011] at the very high position of number THREE on my 20 Favourite Movies Of 2011 (although that list was rather incomplete because at the time of writing that post, I still hadn't yet seen a few films, especially the award-involved ones like Hugo [2011], The Artist [2011], and The Descendants [2011] ).

It is still early in the year and so far I have managed to see a total number of documentaries (newly released or old) that amounts to ZERO! Hopefully that will change. Here are a couple of new ones that I am looking forward to see....

# The Imposter [2012]


This feature was apparently a hit at the recent Sundance Film Festival. Here's a description of it that I found from Indiewire:

"A 13 year old boy disappeared from San Antonio, Texas in 1994. Three and a half years later he is found alive, thousands of miles away in a village in southern Spain with a story of kidnapping and torture. His family is overjoyed to bring him home. But all is not quite as it seems. The boy bears many of the same distinguishing marks he's always had, but why does he now have a strange accent? Why does he look so different? And why doesn't the family seem to notice these glaring inconsistencies? It's only when an investigator starts asking questions that this strange tale takes an even stranger turn".

The trailer has a thriller feel to it and that has got me intrigued. Obviously this being a documentary you can find out the entire story online, but I won't be doing so because who needs spoilers?

*Trailers are currently unavailable on the internet as they are quickly taken down. What's up with that, distributors? You don't want promotion?

# Comic-Con Episode Four: A Fan's Hope [2012]


If you've read this blog for a while, its no secret that I have massive affection towards Superheroes and Star Wars. But as a whole I am also a movie-geek and I don't see the need to be ashamed of it. And being located in the far-east side of this globe, going to a comic-con has always been some sort of dream for me (the ones in San Diego and New York are highest on the bucket-list).

The people involved in this project also excites me. As producers we have the legendary comic book creator Stan Lee (really needs no introduction), Josh Whedon (director of upcoming movie, The Avengers [2012] and also creator of TV series, Buffy The Vampire Slayer [1997-2003] ), and Harry Knowles (founder of geek movie website AintItCool.com). Serving as the director is Morgan Spurlock who is most famous for his documentary Super Size Me [2004]. He also created the recent documentary The Greatest Movie Ever Sold [2011] and well as Where In The World Is Osama Bin Laden? [2008].

I've shown plenty of love towards other geek-documentaries such as last year's The People vs George Lucas [2011] and Confessions Of A Superhero [2007], so there's no doubting that I'll enjoy this one.

2 comments:

  1. Both sound awesome! I just saw The Interrupters which is also very good! Also watch out for one, I think it's called Bully and another called How to Survive a Plague. Both sound brilliant!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've just googled them, and yes they are interesting... thanks for the recommendations..

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...