Friday, April 20, 2012

Review: The Cabin In The Woods [2012]


Background:
Release Date: 13 April 2012 (USA), 19 April 2012 (Malaysia)
Directed By: Drew Goddard
Written By: Joss Whedon, Drew Goddard
Starring: Kristen Connolly, Chris Hemsworth, Fran Kranz, Anna Hutchison, Jesse Williams
Duration: 95 minutes
In A Nutshell:
A group of five friends which include Dana (played by Kristen Connolly), Kurt (played by Chris Hemsworth), Jules (played by Anna Hutchison), Marty (played by Fran Kranz), and Holden (played by Jesse Williams) go for a vacation in a remote cabin in the woods. Terrifying things start to happen and they must uncover the mystery behind the cabin.
Thumbs Up:
+ What initially seems like a cliché horror flick is exactly the opposite, it is one of the most inventive and refreshing to emerge from the genre
+ Surprisingly a hilarious movie without having to turn into a full-on spoof/wink-at-camera type of film
+ Clever and witty dialogues as one would expect from Joss Whedon
+ Nice homage to other horror films
+ The final part of the movie is one of the most fun cinematic experiences you can expect to gain from going to the movies
Thumbs Down:
- There are plenty of surprises, but if you're looking for genuine scares, there aren't many
- The nature of the film and its humour kinda prevents us from being totally invested in the characters (minor complaint only because the film is absolute fun)


The Verdict Is In:
A few reviews have told me to stay away from the trailer for this movie and I'm glad I did so because the less you know about this film's story, the better. And that's what I intend to do with this review. Keep it short, simple, and reveal very little away about the plot.

I'm not really a horror fan but even I can recognise and acknowledge the nods towards multiple other horror films and its sub-genres here. And I have to say I've never laughed-out this loud at a horror movie before. It was hilarious and the dialogues were very clever. There's still the many horror cliches here but you'll soon find out why their there, to be poked fun off. For example, when a cellar door suddenly flings open, a character calmly says: "The wind must have blown it open", while three others nod agreeingly before one other character proclaims: "Err, that makes what kind off sense?"


I guess the star attraction here is provided by Chris Hemsworth and he does give a good enough performance but the scene stealer in this movie just has to be Fran Kranz who plays the character Marty. Kristen Connolly who plays the character Dana and whom I knew nothing about before also impressed me. Also prepare for the final 20 minutes or so of the movie. If you aren't able to enjoy that segment, then no horror movie will ever manage to satisfy you.
Rating:
8 out of 10

9 comments:

  1. Damn, I don't think I saw a negative review for this one. I can't wait to see it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm not even a horror fan and I enjoyed it very much.

    ReplyDelete
  3. filem ni aku suka suka suka!, glad u enjoyed it too

    ReplyDelete
  4. Now that I read your Thumbs Up section, I can see why people can't stop talking about it. I don't know if I'll watch this in the future, but it seems like a great pick for horror. Nice write-up!

    ReplyDelete
  5. @Reza: I did enjoy it, tapi kalo dapat tiket free macam ko lagi best.. hahaha...

    @Andina: You should give it a try, you might be surprised. I think you don't need to be a horror fan to enjoy it. I'm not actually a horror fan too.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I liked it and I would not call my self a huge horror fan. Well not a gore/slash fan. I do have a thing for the unviversal monster classics.

    I think you may have enjoyed this a little bit more than I did. My main complaints being a bit of over explaining at the end and the general brevity of the film.

    Nice review, glad you stopped by our site so I could find yours :-)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great review! It really is an amazing film, I'm glad there's no spoilers here either. Not knowing anything about it prior to seeing Cabin in the Woods really pays off. I was impressed with Hemsworth too, it's nice that he can play roles other than Nordic God.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks Amy! With "The Avengers" and "Snow White And The Huntsman" coming up, Hemsworth really does seem to be having a good and prolific 2012.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...