Tuesday, June 5, 2012

List: 15 Favourite Female Villains

Last week's release of Snow White And The Huntsman [2012] and this week's opening of Prometheus [2012] has made the South African Goddess and Oscar winner known as Charlize Theron my current flavour of the month. That Snow White film was rather uneven but despite some people claiming otherwise, I still rate Theron's performance of the evil Queen as outstanding. But it made me think, when discussing iconic cinematic villains, the mind usually conjures up images of Hannibal Lecter, Darth Vader, Heath Ledger's Joker and a few others. Female movie villains on the other hand are rather underrated. So here's a look at my favourite female villains of the silver screen.

Since I started this blog almost 10 months ago I loved making lists and would have at least one published every month. But its been over two months since my last list. So I'm making up for that by featuring as much as 15 villains for this post.

Haven't Seen The Movie Yet:
I know, I know. I should have seen these films by now. They have been on my to-watch list for like God knows how long. So here's hoping I get to see them soon.
# Carrie (played by Sissy Spacek) from the movie Carrie [1976]
# Asami Yamakazi (played by Eihi Shiina) from the movie Audition (Odishon) [1999]
# Queen Akasha (played by Aaliyah) from the movie Queen Of The Damned [2002]

Honourable Mentions:
# Madison Lee (played by Demi Moore) from the movie Charlie's Angel: Full Throttle [2003]
# Cruella De Vil (voiced by Betty Lou Gerson) from the movie 101 Dalmations [1961]
# Gozer (played by Slavitza Jovan) from the movie Ghostbusters [1984]
# Elle Driver (played by Daryl Hannah) from the movie Kill Bill: Vol. 2 [2004]
# Ursa (played by Sarah Douglas) from the movie Superman 2 [1980]
# Justin Bieber (as himself) from the movie Justin Bieber: Never Say Never [2011] ..... okay, this last one was just mean. But I couldn't resist. I'm getting into character and going along with the theme... villains!

#15 "Bio-Engineered Hotness" ~ Pris

Edited image from ComicVine
Played By: Daryl Hannah
Movie: Blade Runner [1982]

I happen to be among the very few humans on this planet who didn't enjoy Blade Runner. I estimate there are only 304 of us people. From that number, I reckon 70% is covered by conspiracy theorists, Scrooge McDuck, and Kanye West because these guys seem to hate everything, so why not hate this movie too? But I did enjoy Daryl Hannah in this movie. She was a hot babe back in the 80s and this movie as well as Splash [1984] made her one of my earliest crushes ever.

Selected Quote: "We need you, Sebastian. You're our best and only friend"

#14 "The Queen Bee" ~ Regina George


Played By: Rachel McAdams
Movie: Mean Girls [2004]

Okay, this isn't the conventional type of villain. But her character is as real life as they come and since people hate these type of people that's villain enough for me. Plus I think the movie is hilarious.

Selected Quote: "I gave him everything! I was half a virgin when I met him"

#13 "I Can Look However I Choose" ~ Mystique


Played By: Rebecca Romijn
Movies: X-Men [2000], X-2: X-Men United [2003], X-Men: The Last Stand [2006]

Anybody who can give Wolverine a tough fight deserves to be credible villain. But when you're blue and have scales, and still manage to look hot, you've just earned multiple bonus points.

Selected Quote: "People like you are the reason I was afraid to go to school as a child"

#12 "Ultra-Psychotic Schoolgirl" ~ Mitsuko Souma


Played By: Kou Shibasaki
Movie: Battle Royale (Batoru rowaiaru) [2000]

After years on my to-watch list I finaly got to see this film (thanks largely to The Hunger Games [2012] ). Because of her role in Kill Bill: Vol. 1 [2003], I thought Chiaki Kuriyama would be the main villain in this cult classic. It was this creepy little lass in the photo above instead.

Selected Quote(translated): "What's wrong with killing? Everyone's got their reasons"

#11 "Just The Pussy I've Been Looking For" ~ Catwoman


Played By: Michelle Pfeiffer
Movie: Batman Returns [1992]

I actually prefer Julie Newmar as the best Catwoman, but she played the role on a TV series and this list is exclusively for the silver screen. But that doesn't mean Michelle Pfeiffer wasn't any good. In fact Anne Hathaway has pretty big shoes to fill.

Selected Quote: "I am Catwoman. Hear me roar!"

#10 "Mass Murderer" ~ Mallory Knox


Played by: Juliette Lewis
Movie: Natural Born Killers [1994]

Juliette Lewis has played some great roles throughout her career. But her role in this Oliver Stone-Quentin Tarantino flick is a real standout.

Selected Quote: "I do. Till you and I die, and die, and die again. Til death do us part"

#9 "That Leg Cross!!" ~ Catherine Tramell


Played By: Sharon Stone
Movie: Basic Instinct [1992]

Its a shame that all people remember about this movie is that famous leg cross because by itself, this is a decent film. But yeah, let's face it, that leg cross was great.

Selected Quote: John Correli: "Have you ever engaged in any sadomasochistic activity?" Catherine Tramell: "Exactly what did you have in mind, Mr. Correli?"

#8 "Cottonmouth" ~ O-Ren Ishii


Played By: Lucy Liu
Movie: Kill Bill: Vol. 1 [2003]

Her bad-assness was distinguished when she killed a Yakuza boss at the age of 11. She went on to become the head of the Tokyo Yakuza, complete with her own bodyguard army, The Crazy 88.

Selected Quote: "Silly Caucasian girl likes to play with Samurai swords"

#7 "The Awesome Bodyguard" ~ Gogo Yubari


Played By: Chiaki Kuriyama
Movie: Kill Bill: Vol. 1 [2003]

She may only be a bodyguard to O-Ren Ishii, but I prefer her much more and that is why she is higher on the list compared to her boss. As mentioned in a previous post, the guys at Super Power Beat Down creates fantasy crossover battles from various movies. Here's an idea for a future showdown: Gogo vs. Hit-Girl from the movie Kick-Ass [2010].

Selected Quote: "You call that begging?"

#6 "Femme Fatale" ~ Lola


Played By: Kate Nauta
Movie: Transporter 2 [2005]

If for whatever reason, God forbid, anyone wanted to assassinate me in the future, please send someone as hot at Lola. Same skimpy outfit too please!

Selected Quote: Frank Martin: "Didn't your mother ever teach you to say 'thank you'?" Lola: "Yeah. She tried and failed miserably"

#5 "The Fairest Of Them All" ~ Queen Ravenna


Played By: Charlize Theron
Movie: Snow White And The Huntsman [2012]. Review here.

Ultimately, the movie didn't live up to its trailer. But, like I mentioned in the intro, I still adore this wonderful performance despite what some critics say.

Selected Quote: "Mirror, mirror, on the wall"

#4 "Hey, Look! I'm Not In A Tim Burton Movie" ~ Bellatrix Lestrange


Played By: Helena Bonham Carter
Movies: Harry Potter And The Order Of The Phoenix [2007], Harry Potter And The Half-Blood Prince [2009], Harry Potter And The Deathly Hallows: Part1 [2010], Harry Potter And The Deathly Hallows: Part 2 [2011]

I enjoy the Potter films although I can't really say that I'm a fan. I don't read the books and think that, at least in the earlier films, Harry isn't even all that great and Hermione is the better wizard. Not bad for a muggle. I also think Bellatrix is much more creepier than that guy whose-name-must-not-be-mentioned. Helena Bonham Carter is perfectly cast too.

Selected Quote: "I killed Sirius Black!"

#3 "Flying Monkeys" ~ Wicked Witch Of The West


Played By: Margaret Hamilton
Movie: The Wizard Of Oz [1939]

Almost everyone I know who'd seen this movie when they were young were frightened or even terrified of this creepy character. Thank God she had a stupid weakness to kill her.

Selected Quote: "You cursed brat! Look what you've done! I'm melting! melting!"

#2 "Loves Romance Novels" ~ Annie Wilkes


Played By: Kathy Bates
Movie: Misery [1990]

Leave it to Setephen King to turn one of the most beloved professions - a nurse, into such a hatred character. Kathy Bates won an Oscar for this role, and rightly so too because I felt like wanting to jump into the screen and punch her in the face.

Selected Quote: "He didn't get out of the COCKADOODIE CAR!!!"

#1 "Damn You To Hell, Biotch!" ~ Mrs. Sylvia Ganush


Played By: Lorna Raver
Movie: Drag Me To Hell [2009]

I've seen a few interviews of Lorna Raver and she seems like such a nice person in real life. But just like Annie Wilkes at #2, I was so drawn into the movie that I absolutely loathed Mrs. Ganush. I actually cheered out loud in the theatre when Alison Lohman's character [*spoiler alert begins] burries the button along with Ganush [*spoiler ends]. But darn to that twist ending.

Selected Quote: "Soon it will be you who comes begging to me"

8 comments:

  1. best! 1. kerana majority dlm ni aku suka kerana dan 2. kerana ko add Regina George! .. some people are being too hard on Mean Girls...best pe citer tu

    ReplyDelete
  2. So many bad ass characters! Bellatrix, O Ren, Go Go, Mallory, Catwoman and Ravenna would probably end up on my list too. You should defintly see Carrie, though I don't think you can categorize her as a vilain.

    ReplyDelete
  3. @Reza: love Mean Girls

    @Sati: I really do want to see Carrie. Guess she's just misunderstood then.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Very interesting list, Asrap. Some of the villain in this list I haven't seen, but the rest I agree. Way to go putting Rachel McAdams in Mean Girls, one of her best roles I think ;) And I'm very much agree with Theron being amazing in Snow White & Huntsman.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Carrie will never be a villain in my book so she doesn't deserve to be here! That Wicked Witch though. She makes me shiver! Great choices though I still need to see Drag Me to Hell!

    ReplyDelete
  6. @Andina: I'm not ashamed to say I love Mean Girls!! I thinks its truly hillarious.

    @Pete: Yeah, I guess Carrie isn't a villain. But I really do need to see the film.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I really hope some producers or writers take a look at this post because I want a movie that has Hit Girl fighting GOGO

    ReplyDelete
  8. HitGirl vs Gogo would be totally awesome!! My money's on Gogo though.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...