Thursday, July 26, 2012

Thoughts: Man Of Steel [2013]


So the teaser trailer for the new Superman movie, Man Of Steel [2013] was released last week. Okay, to start things off, my thoughts about the clip (featured below) = Awesome! My colleagues at work said they didn't like it because there wasn't much happening and very little footage of Superman, and that's where we differ in opinion. I actually love the feeling of gravitas it provides which hopefully will translate into the actual movie. Since it is still in production stage, the trailer used the marvelous score from  LOTR: The Fellowship Of The Ring [2001] by composer Howard Shore (specific scene: Bridge Of Khazad Dum). If only at the end of the clip where the logo appears, they had put the iconic Superman score from John Williams, then that would have been perfect! Even a modified version would do, like what they did for the various Mission: Impossible films.


As for my feelings on the actual film itself, here they are:

# It has been well established before throughout this blog that I hold Christopher Nolan in highest regard. So having him as the producer as well as co-writer has got my psyched. However it does make me wonder why he didn't choose to direct this himself.

# I wasn't excited however when I heard that Zack Snyder was chosen as the director. He has been hit and miss for me. Let's do a rundown of all five of his films so far. Dawn Of The Dead [2004] = Great! Loved it. 300 [2006] = Overall, enjoyed it. Legends Of The Guardians: The Owls Of Ga'Hoole [2010] = haven't seen it yet. Watchmen [2009] = bored to tears. Sucker Punch [2011] = Absolutely horrible. Worst movie I've seen last year.

# Other than me being more of a Marvel fan than DC (just a matter of preference), I also think the character of Superman is a hard sell, especially to non comic-book/superhero fans. I mean I did like the Christopher Reeve films but generally this is about an individual whom is difficult for the audience to have an emotional connection with. Sure, they created Kryptonite as a weakness, but the guy is basically invincible, and that is hard to relate. Like Max Landis explained in the short-film/documentary The Death And Return Of Superman [2011], there are plenty of Superheroes with more pathos and complexity. He is extremely strong, but that just results in boring fight choreography.

# The teaser trailer has given me hope however. As I mentioned above, I love the grounded tone of the clip and I know some are gonna hate that I'm saying this, but Nolan's presence can be felt throughout. Maybe this film will be to Superman what Batman Begins [2005] was to Batman. A more vulnerable and realistic character. The new costume has already gotten rid of the red underwear on the outside, and Clarke Kent is without glasses. Like The Dark Knight [2008], this also doesn't have Superman in its title. I can just sense that Man Of Steel [2013] will be more a story of Clark Kent than his alter-ego. Just like Iron-Man [2008] was more a story of Tony Stark. Well that's what I hope and prefer anyway.

With all that written, its easy to forget that we still have a long time to go before it's release. Man Of Steel is set to open in theatres (USA) on 14 June 2013.

13 comments:

  1. I'm pretty excited too after watching the trailer and learning that Nolan gonna be a part of the production...

    I love Zack Snyder simply because of his slow mo fighting scenes... that's why I think Sucker Punch is not that bad... I still watch it again and again sometimes - I skip straight to the fighting scenes of course...

    So, Nolan and Snyder combined... Nolan will definitely deliver in the story line and Snyder will give it all in action scenes...

    I'm excited!!

    By the way, I love The Watchmen by Snyder :-P

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If Snyder gets to make anything as good his Dawn Of The Dead then I'll be more than satisfied.

      Delete
  2. I can't wait to see Cavill and Adams together, I'm sure they will have wonderful chemistry.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Just hearing Amy Adams name gets me excited. Forgot to mention her name in the post.

      Delete
  3. I'll wait til the actual movie comes out before I make any assumptions but I don't like that they are going with a more serious tone with this. That works for Batman not Superman. The story they should have adapted to the big screen was Superman: Red Son. The premise of that asks what would happen if Superman was born in Russia when America had the cold war with them. I think that story would be more interesting

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That indeed would be an interesting storyline. But then again we don't fully know yet what this version is going to be about.

      Delete
  4. I thought it had a slight Michael Bay feel to it. Slo-motion, moving score, patriotic images and that final quiet shot.

    That said, looking forward to it. Zach Snyder in redemption mode, might be a very good thing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I rather liked the trailer, but this year more than others has taught me not to trust trailers...cough... Snow White And The Huntsman.... cough

      Delete
  5. aku ok ngan Sucker Punch sebenarnyer
    Watchmen ... antara fav aku tahun ia kuar..
    so aku agak suka cerita2 Snyder...tapi Superman?...entahlah..as a superhero bagi aku dia agak lame

    baru smlm aku bebel ngan member office aku yg superman actually doesn't translate well ke zaman skrg..ni bagi aku lah..

    dan sesungguhnyer..dlm past Superman flick aku suka #2 je..tuh pon sbb villain dia awesome! ..(yg awek tu!) .. ha mungkin tu jugak sbb aku lalala ngan Superman kot..most of his villains are pretty blaagghhh! ...kecuali Lobo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. demnit..maaf asrap aku ingatkan my first post didn't go through ..isk..sila la delete atas nyer tu

      Delete
    2. Villains dlm Man Of Steel kalo x silap sama dgn villains dlm Supurman 2 gak.... ada General Zod. Yang lagi dua org x sure ada ke x...

      Delete
  6. I much prefer the Kevin Costner voice-over trailer. The images show Clark somewhat lost and directionless, and the Jonathan Kent version lends itself more to finding yourself/discovering your purpose.

    It seems a bit incongruous to have Jor-El's rousing "lead them to greatness" Gladiator speech when Clark isn't struggling with that dilemma just yet.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good point there but since Clark is in the middle of discovering his purpose, Jor-El told him exactly his purpose... lead them to greatness.

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...