Thursday, August 30, 2012

Review: The Possesion [2012]


Background:
Date Of Release: 30 August 2012 (Malaysia), 31 August 2012 (USA)
Directed By: Ole Bornedal
Written By: Juliet Snowden, Stiles White
Starring: Natasha Calis, Jeffrey Dean Morgan, Kyra Sedgwick, Madison Davenport, Matisyahu
Duration: 92 minutes
In A Nutshell:
Supposedly based on a true story. Clyde (played by Jeffrey Dean Morgan) and Stephanie (played by Kyra Sedgwick) are recently divorced and share responsibilities of taking care of their two daughters, Hannah (played by Madison Davenport) and Em (played by Natasha Calis). The youngest of the siblings, Em purchases an antique wooden box at a yard sale and soon after her behaviour starts to change and weird things begin to happen. It turns out that the box contains a dibbux, a trapped spirit that devours it's human host once released from the box.


Thumbs Up:
+ A few creepy moments
+ Doesn't rely (not heavily at least) on loud music and cheap shocks
+ Hey, I've actually seen most of those Youtube videos on exorcism that Jeffrey Dean Morgan researches (the first one I'm certain is from my country)
+ There's a scene that reminds everyone not to use your mobile phone while driving (unless hands-free). Nice Public Service Reminder. (the last two thumbs-up are unnecessary but I'm struggling for more positives)
Thumbs Down:
- Mostly predictable
- Nothing truly terrifying or menacing happens
- Despite clear intentions of adding depth to the characters, we don't really share their suffering
- Your cheerful, nerdy, and animal loving vegetarian daughter suddenly starts to look like the photos above and below, while also developing rage problems, and you just voice to someone else "do you notice something strange about Em?". Du-uh! Oh, right. I forgot. She's a teenage girl.


The Verdict Is In:
There's a few creepy moments to give you goosebumps but just when the tension starts to build, the scene ends without anything really terrifying happening. Victim of the PG-13 rating perhaps? Maybe in a way it could have benefited from having a cheap shock scene or two. I also found this flick rather predictable. At first I wanted to give it the benefit of the doubt and put it down to me being an experienced movie-goer (yeah right!), but then again I haven't really watched many horror films.

I don't think its a bad movie, but in no way will it be a classic. Mind you, this is supposedly based on a true story. There was an actual dibbux box sold on eBay complete with its description and the horrific experience of the seller. You could read part of the story here. Whether true or not, I actually think that story is far more interesting, as is the title "Dibbux Box"
Rating:
6 out of 10

10 comments:

  1. I like your review of this very much, but despite a few good scares that you mention. I'm just sick of the whole little girl being possessed by the devil premise.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, it does seem to be a lot of those stories made. But I haven't seen most of them.

      Delete
  2. Great review, I may catch this one since I liek Jeffrey Dean Morgan, good to know it's not awful, not awful horror movie is something quite rare nowadays.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He does OK here. But I keep confusing him with Javier Bardem. They look so alike. LOL.

      Delete
    2. The whole time I'm reading this, I'm thinking why hasn't he mentioned Bardem? My mind has been blown!

      Delete
    3. There's actually two doppelgangers: Morgan-Bardem and the other one is kid who plays one of Morgan's daughters (the one not possessed): Madison Davenport looks extremely like a young Lindsay Lohan.

      Hey, maybe what they meant by true story was these doppelgangers. Creepy!

      Delete
  3. I tried to comment earlier but the internet was pretty slow on submitting. It looks like a predictable horror movie. It's been a while though for me seeing Kyra Sedgwick. Thanks for sharing, Asrap

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It think it is rather predictable. I haven't seen much of Sedgwick work though..

      Delete
  4. aku nak suka cerita ni..tapi 3rd act dia...haiyo..but yeh lah kot..average at best

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. mmg ada babak2 yg seram... but at the end went they went with more CGI, kinda went downhill...

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...