Friday, October 19, 2012

Review: Sinister [2012]


Background:
Release Date: 18 October 2012 (Malaysia), 12 October 2012 (USA)
Directed By: Scott Derrickson
Written By: Scott Derrickson, C. Robert Cargill
Starring: Ethan Hawke, Juliet Rylance, Clare Foley, Michael Hall D'Addario, James Ransone
Duration: 110 minutes
In A Nutshell:
Ellison Oswalt (played by Ethan Hawke) is a true-crime novelist who has passed his primed years ago. He moves into the house of a murdered family in preparation for his newest book. His wife - Tracy (played by Juliet Rylance), son - Trevor (played by Michall Hall D'Addario), and daughter - Ashley (played by Clare Foley) are not particularly fond of moving. Ellison discovers a box in the attic containing footage of not only the murder of the previous family but also those of connected murders. Strange things begin to happen in the house.


Thumbs Up:
+ Genuine scares, suspense, and tense moments. Watch out for the dead kids to appear, shit is just about to get serious.
+ Creepy musical score complements the scences nicely
+ Ethan Hawke does well in his role here... I've always found his face looking tensed-up and full of burden anyway
Thumbs Down:
- Some of the best scenes can be found in the trailer
- Quite a few jump-scares
- The climax could have carried more impact


The Verdict Is In:
Finally I remembered the main reason why I never really liked horror movies..... I'M CHICKEN! Perhaps not in real life, but my imagination always gets me immersed in the films that I'm watching that it doesn't take a lot to scare me. But that's why most of the horror films I've seen in my adult life have disappointed me... they didn't scare me! And this is where Sinister [2012] succeeds... I felt genuinely scared during a few scenes. Despite having already seen a few of the creepiest scenes in the trailer, the anticipation of something to happen managed to instil fear in me.


The film teases us with the mystery of whether the killings were done by a psychotic murderer or whether it was something supernatural. They also tried to give us another possibility - Ellison was drunk and imagined most of the things. But come on, who would have ever believed that possibility. Then again I have seen worse screenwriting in my life.

 However, despite all my fear in anticipation, I felt the pay-off never really arrived. While the ending had a nice little twist, it felt like it didn't really climax. There was no powerful exit. It wasn't bad, but if it had the impact like the ending of, say, The Blair Witch Project [1999] or Paranormal Activity [2009], this would be a truly good horror movie (well from the perspective of someone who doesn't see much horror at least). I guess it is true that fear of the unknown is usually worse than the real thing.
Rating:
7 out of 10

12 comments:

  1. ehehe just got back from this one, best kan..but for me not as scary cam insidious and yes apa kejadah trailer sekarang...simpan lah sikit the best parts

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aku lom tgk lagilagi Insidious, so x bole komen.

      Resolution baru aku: kurangkan tgk trailer.

      Delete
  2. Nice review Asrap. Ethan Hawke never shows up in movies like this, and it’s a real surprise because the guy’s great at looking absolutely terrified when he needs to. As for the rest of the film, it’s not as terrifying but still scary enough to fully give you that creepy vibe the whole way through.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yup, as someone who doesn't see much horror, I'll say its scary.

      Delete
  3. Good Review. I still want to see this despite the problems you listed. I'm just glad we got a horror movie that is not another damn found footage one.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad too, but there's lots of element of it since it revolves a lot with Ethan Hawke viewing found footage.

      Delete
  4. Great review! I'm tempted to see this in the cinema because of the lack of better horrors out there but I did read that the best scenes are in the trailer in other reviews too, so I'm on the fence.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The footage in the trailer does take some suspense out of of a few scenes, but there are some other decent ones. Where I live the only other choice is Paranormal Activity 4, and I'm not excited about that one.

      Delete
  5. Nice review Asrap, though the trailer scared the living wits out of me so I don't think I could watch this. Ahah, I totally agree that Ethan Hawke seems perfect to play this role, he has a melancholic face.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is one of the scarier films I've seen recently. Yeah, even when Ethan Hawke is smiling I always feel like there's something underneath.. like you said, he has a melancholic face.

      Delete
  6. This film is probably the second worst film I've seen this year, I just found it garbage really haha. You make some good points though.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha.. second worst? What's the first? Like I said, I'm chicken. So maybe that's why I enjoyed it :)

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...