Tuesday, October 30, 2012

TV: Halloween And New Shows

So Halloween is in a couple of days but I won't be having a special post as I'm already done with my horror watching month and already did a post titled 10 Childhood Nightmares earlier this month along with a review of Sinister [2012]. So instead today I'll be writing about a few new TV shows that I've been watching and a special Halloween episode of a regular sitcom I follow.

# Modern Family: Open House Of Horrors (Season 4 Episode 5)

I written before in a post on how I wished my country celebrated Halloween and how great it would have been if I had experienced a childhood of Trick-or-Treating. Well Modern Family [2009-present] epitomes what I've always dreamed a Halloween celebration would be like. Each season their Halloween episode is just so imaginative and this year's special is no exception.





 Gif photo taken from here

 Despite winning three consecutive Emmys for Best Comedy Series (and dominating multiple other categories), people have said its second and third season hasn't been as strong as the first. I've enjoyed both of those mentioned seasons but in a way agree that the first one was just a level above. But now five episodes into the current one and I think it has shown the form that is level with that debut season. I mean I still can't stop laughing from episode 4's Phil's-osophy advices in life.

# Elementary

Cast: Jonny Lee Miller, Lucy Lie, Aidan Quinn, Jon Michael Hill
Quote: "It has costs. Learning to see the puzzle in everything. They're everywhere once you start looking. Once you start looking, its impossible to stop. It just so happens that people, and all the deceits and delusions that inform everything they do, tend to be the most fascinating puzzles of all. Of course, they don't always appreciate been seen as such."



This is about Sherlock Holmes and his crime solving activities set in modern-day New York. I really like the idea of putting Holmes in the current era and actually before this had no idea that the BBC series, Sherlock also had the same concept. I might want to check that one out too now. Sherlock Holmes here is a recovering drug addict that has relocated to New York to help the NYPD. He is brilliantly played by Jonny Lee Miller, who of course, is mostly recognisable for his work as Sick Boy in the movie Trainspotting [1996].

The catch to this version is the character of Dr. Watson, who happens to be a female and played by Lucy Liu. She's being described as a former surgeon who now works as a sober companion for recovering addicts - in this case it is Sherlock. Apart from being extremely intelligent, Holmes is also sarcastic and arrogant - all ingredients to making a compelling character.  Its has only been four episodes in and I'm already very hooked. Most of the negative reviews I found on this show seems to come from viewers in the UK and fans of the show, Sherlock. Just let it go folks, both can exist together...

Image taken from here

I've written before on great Opening Title Sequences, and Elementary's opening credits can easily be categorised as one of the best. You can interpret what the sequence represents how ever you like, but I see it as the process of Holmes' analytical mind in solving crimes (actually I took that thought from a comment on Youtube, but hey, great artists steal).


# Revolution

Cast: Billy Burke, Tracy Spiradakos, Giancarlo Esposito, Graham Rogers, Elizabeth Mitchell, David Lyon, Zak Orth
Quote:"There's a lot of men out there, okay? Sooner or later they're coming in. So we, are gonna Shawshank our asses outta here."


A post-apocalyptic future where electricity isn't functional thus rendering whatever that happens to use it (lemme see, that just about covers.... everything!) useless. Apart from Elizabeth Mitchell, I'm not familiar with any of the remaining cast but Billy Burke who plays the character of Miles Matherson makes a pretty bad-ass protogonist. New comer Tracy Spiradakos provides the eye-candy to the show (her acting isn't too bad, but a little rough around the edges). A lot of complaints have been on logical issues, but isn't that the case for most post-apocalyptic stories? I mean take zombies shows for example. They'd be no end to the logical issues on that one. Revolution won't be winning any awards but is just interesting enough to make me a follower so far.

# Arrow

Cast: Stephen Amell, Katie Cassidy, Paul Blackthorne, Willa Holland, Colin Donnell, susana Thompson
Quote: Oliver: "Which one is she?" Tommy: "The one that looks like the chick from Twilight" Oliver: "What's Twilight?" Tommy: "So better off not knowing"


Based on the character of Green Arrow from DC Comics. For those unfamiliar with the world of superheroes and comics... you know how there seems to be similar characters in both Marvel Comics and DC? Of course you don't. If you did, you'd know who Green Arrow is. Silly me! Well, I'm gonna tell you anyway (consider this like a villain in movies self-indulgently monologging his plan to the hero). So, for Marvel's Sub-Mariner, DC has Aquaman. Marvel has Quicksilver, DC has The Flash. There's The Black Cat that lives in Marvel's universe, while Catwoman inhabits the realms of DC. Now, I'm guessing you've all seen The Avengers [2012] and are already familiar with the character Hawkeye right? Well, Green Arrow is DC's equivalent of that character.

They're trying to make the story similar with Bruce Wayne's in Batman Begins [2005] but honestly from the two episodes I've watched so far, there seems to be a bit of spark missing. If it wasn't for my love of superheroes I'd have already given up on it, but for now I'm wiling to give it a few more episodes.

8 comments:

  1. im gonna skip Arrow most CW shows bore me to death (except Vampire Diaries ehehe) ...tapi ya I'm looking forward for Elementary + Revolution, I just dont have the time to add em in my hectic schedule nowadays, even Modern Family aku lom start season baru..haiya.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, my schedule right now is pretty hectic too, that's why I only watch sitcoms which don't take-up much time. Since Suits is off-season, these three shows plus Walking Dead are the only dramas I'm currently watching.

      Delete
  2. I'm not really interested in Revolution but Elementary looks interesting and I always liked Miller and Liu - I'm gonna have to check it out! I love MF season 1-3 the new season didn't win me over yet, but I loved Claire trying to scare Phil in new episode.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Don't think you're missing out much on Revolution. I just watch it because it fits my schedule. Miller and Liu have great chemistry on Elementary.

      Delete
  3. Hey Asrap, I actually have only seen the pilot of Arrow so far but I like that one. I can't seem to be able to follow a certain TV schedule, so I end up always missing 'em. I might still check them out online though, I like the guy playing Oliver, such eye candy for me, ahah.

    As for Elementary, not sure I'll watch it as I am now catching up w/ season 2 of BBC Sherlock and the writing is just sooo good, can't imagine this one can top that.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I really need to start watching Sherlock, unfortunately my schedule is already rather jam-packed.

      Delete
  4. I've stopped watching Elementary, Revolution and Arrow! I might start Arron up again. Revolution seems to be the same episode each week, the chick cries at something, the dude does something bad and has to redeem himself... I might just watch the finale and see what happens there!
    Elementary... after the BBC version I just can't watch this one, it's not as shiny, not as exciting. I feel like I'm cheating on Steven Moffat.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I haven't seen Arrow past the 2nd episode. I'm still watching Revolution, but you're spot on... it does seem like the same episode every week. I really enjoy Elementary, but that's probably because I've never seen BBC's version of Sherlock. With all the great reviews it garnered, I really have to start doing so it seems...

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...