Friday, November 9, 2012

Stan Lee: Documentary And Movie Cameos

Stanley Martin Lieber or better known to world simply as Stan Lee. The Man. The Legend. The Godfather of comic books and superheroes. No, this is not a birthday appreciation post. Although seeing that his 90th birthday (yes, NINE-ZERO!!) is late next month, I guess I can keep hold of this in draft. But no, I've been lazy and my last post was one full week ago while at the same time I'm feeling inspired after watching a documentary on him. This is the guy who along with George Lucas and Steven Speilberg help shaped my childhood. So to properly start things off, I'll use a phrase the great man might use himself: "EXCELSIOR!!"

# With Great Power - The Stan Lee Story [2010]


Lovely documentary showcasing his beginnings at Timely Comics during The Great Depression, his creation of iconic Marvel characters, his vision to bring comics to the mainstream (setting-up Marvel Animation and a few TV shows), right to his post-Marvel days right now. I'd say as a young man he was pretty good looking too.

The man himself is an entertaining character as he has a very animated (pun not intended) personality. He really is an inspiration as not only do we see how much he loves his work but also what a kind heart he has. He has been married to the same woman for 65 years and we get to see how much he is still deeply in love with his her. He also has nothing but the highest praise about everyone that worked with him especially for frequent callaborator, Jack Kirby, despite media reports of a previous fall-out.

Selected Quote: Reporter: "Stan you've been doing this for so long. You've been so successful, some people wonder, why don't you retire, and live permanently on exotic vacations? Why do you keep doing it?" Stan Lee: "The word 'retire' is a dirty word. You know most people when they retire, they say: 'at last I have a chance to do what I've always wanted to do', but I'm doing what I've always wanted to do. I'm working with artists, with writers, with directors, I'm working on creative things. I'm having fun. I mean... don't punish me by making me retire." <--- to me the best answer ever!!

# Movie Cameos

Try to guess what films these photos are from. One cameo isn't from a superhero movie. The answers are at the bottom. My favourite cameo of his so far is from the recent The Amazing Spider-Man [2012].






















Answers (from top to bottom): # Captain America: The First Avenger [2011] # Iron Man 2 [2010] # Iron Man [2008] # Spider-Man 2 [2002] # Spider-Man 3 [2007] # Daredevil [2003] # Hulk [2003] # Fantastic Four [2005] # Fantastic Four: Rise Of The Silver Surfer [2007] # The Amazing Spider-Man [2012] # Spider-Man [2002] # The Avengers [2012] # The Incredible Hulk [2008] # The Princess Diaries 2: Royal Engagement [2004] # Thor [2011] # X-Men 3: The Last Stand [2006] # X-Men [2000] # The Trial Of The Incredible Hulk [1989]

10 comments:

  1. Nice stuff, Asrap! I did not know that it was him in Amazing Spider-Man, what a great cameo. I didn't know before what he look like.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I forgot that not everyone knows him and probably should have introduced him better. Didn't leave my nerd world it seems :P . But now that you know what he looks like, you can wait for his cameo in coming Marvel films. He's usually in it.

      Delete
  2. cuba try tgk Who Wants to be a Superhero, ada 2 season..
    fun stuff...kalau ada tuk dl lagi la?
    few years back gak reality series tu

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Penah tgk dah.. dulu ada tayang kat 8TV. Tp mcm x best jerh..

      Delete
    2. agak corny ah gak, tapi aku layankan jer...anything with marvel heroes..hehe

      Delete
    3. aku sempat tgk 1st season jek kat tv dulu... aku pon layan pasal ada superhero jek... deep down inside, aku pon nak jd superhero... hahaha

      Delete
  3. The best cameo is in the Amazing Spiderman!! I laughed hard at that part

    ReplyDelete
  4. I saw this doc at TCFF last year and loved it!! I love Stan Lee's cameo, he's such a sweet guy and it's nice to see he's a great family man as well. I love how he stays humble despite all of his success and yep, he gives Kirby proper credit and gratitude, which discredits what the media's been saying about their relationship.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It looks like with this last year and from reading this year's coverage from your site, TCFF has some really good stuff.

      Stan Lee really is an inspiration!

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...