Wednesday, December 19, 2012

Getting Excited For 2013


So if the Mayans are to be believed, the world will come to and end this Friday. First thing when I wake on Saturday morning is to tweet "I'm still alive you Mayan suckers!!". Personally I'll be pissed if they got their prediction right as I didn't get to see Django Unchained [2012] (I'm already annoyed it's release date over here is the end of January. Early word around the Internet is it is awesome... this is Tarantino we're talking about if you need reminding). Plus that hoverboard from Back To The Future 2 [1989] which I've been saving my money on since a young age still hasn't been invented. Actually recent events in my life have made me realize the list doesn't stop there. There's still a galaxy of things to do. Here's looking forward to 2013.....

# Personal Life

Wow, its the 19th already and I've only had one post for December? Actually this is because a recent transformation I've made in my personal life has occupied a majority of my time. I've been actively trying to reignite the adventurous spirit of my youth. That spark slowly disappeared a few years ago when I entered the work-force, which meant long hours stuck behind a computer battling the constant threat of cyber-hackers (a career I'm not passionate about... it does impress people though, particularly chicks, especially when they hear my speech of: "I am the country's protector. I secure information. Information is knowledge, and knowledge is power! It is often said modern-era war is not an attack on a country's land or infrastructure but on it's information system. Bla, Bla, Bla". I also get a huge kick when I threaten to hack the email of the person who annoys me.... yeah right, like I'm anywhere that good). It was all work and no play. The only thing that increased was my waistline and weight. It didn't help that my friends lost this spirit even quicker than I did. It's like that quote from The Breakfast Club [1985]: "When you grow up, your heart dies".

So two and a half months ago I started working out again and managed to lose 14kg (30.8 pounds). I feel reinvigorated and like my competitive-soccer playing youth days. I want to do so many things now. The following might sound like a mid-life crisis, but although I'm still way too young for that (wonder if this is a very late coming-of-age instead of early mid-life crisis), I don't want to wait until I'm 40 or 50 to start crossing things off my bucket-list. The change starts now! My mind right now is conjuring-up the image of Robin Williams in Dead Poets Society [1989] saying "Carpe Diem!". Oh, 2013 can't come sooner enough!

Things to do: despite my general fear of heights, I've always wanted to go bungee jumping. I'll be doing that in two weeks time. I want to go sky-diving for real now and not just simulation. Run a marathon, my first in exactly 10 years. I want to do more traveling, there's so many countries to visit (places where iconic scenes from movies were filmed would be a bonus... hey, I forgot about comic-con!). Heck, I haven't even finished exploring my own country. I want to go swimming with the sharks (anyone have any suggestions for a real cool location?). I want to go watch Man Utd play at Old Trafford (how the hell has this not yet happened? It could be my life's biggest regret). Learn new languages. Finally play the guitar. The list is endless. Oh, yeah... change careers too.

The reason for this renewed vigor and inspiration? Like all cliche good stories its a girl. It always is. Hey, if John Lennon fell in the same trap, I'm in good company. Gosh, this post so far has been so cheesy. Isn't this supposed to be a movie blog? So on a more related note....

# 3 Best Movie Trailers For 2013

 I'm fully aware that good trailers doesn't necessarily translate into entertaining movies (see Snow White And The Huntsman [2012] ), but I can't help but get pumped-up to watch these films based on the following 3 trailers:

Iron Man 3. Out May 3rd. I just know Shane Black will deliver.



Evil Dead. Out April 12th. Never a fan of remaking a classic, but this trailer is just so bad-ass!



Man Of Steel. Out June 14th. I picked the teaser trailer (preferred Russel Crowe's voice over Kevin Costner's) here instead of the full version... well, just because I liked it better.



# TV Shows

I really don't get to watch TV show regularly nowadays, but I'm just glad Suits will be returning in January! I'll make time for that. Plus, can't wait to see what happens on The Walking Dead once it returns.

# Looking Back At 2012

Here's compilation videos for the films of 2012. I always enjoy these. The first is Filmography 2012 from my regular favourite Gen I. The second is Cinemageddon 2012 by Christopher Sherwood.





# Blogging

With all these activities I've got in plan, I'm not sure how often I'll be able to blog. Its a shame too because I enjoy blogging and am currently getting around 1,000 to 2,000 daily views. I think that is decent for a blog which doesn't update regularly (3 times in a week... which doesn't happen much... is my current record) and only 16 months old. I'm going to think positively here and hopefully, if I'm having a blast in my personal life, I'll have plenty more inspiration to blog.

Anyways, that's it. Have a happy holidays people!

14 comments:

  1. Asrap, I'm very happy to hear you've rediscovered yourself. Going to miss your posts and comments if you're busy, but life only happens once so have fun!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Andina! I'll still be reading your blog. It's just writing takes a lot more time.

      Delete
  2. Those are some very nice resolutions! I think Carpe Diem is a fine idea, but it's hard to find energy some times. I hope you will have a very joyful and fulfilling 2013 :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I always loved that quote, now its time for me to put it in practice.

      Delete
  3. Inspirational post, man. Go get 'em!

    I've dug your blog since I first started reading it, and this new approach will only strengthen it! Good luck.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I knew from the very first time I read your blog that the moment I could vote for the LAMB Awards (the next one), I'd nominated you for funniest writers. And you truly do deserve it.

      Delete
  4. Hi Asrap! Just came back from my 2-week trip so I'm still catching up on a bunch of blogs. Hey, congrats on your recent weight loss, well done man! Best wishes on your upcoming goals, including your marathon.

    Hey, I LOVE that Man of Steel teaser too, but I like the full trailer even more. Can't wait for that movie! 2013, bring it on!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Ruth... hope you had a blast on your holidays.. I've read about your little get-together at Andina's blog and it seems fun! I need a lot of catching up to do on some blog readings myself!

      Delete
  5. amazing Cinemageddon montage and can't wait for Evil Dead too! All the best for the new year!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cinemageddon really was amazing... I like the choices of songs in there too. Happy new year to you too Pete!

      Delete
  6. I simply cannot wait for the new Iron Man movie. I was so excited when I saw the first trailer.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, I know... and that's still only the teaser!

      Delete
  7. Hey, I just awarded you something :) http://www.inspired-ground.com/versatile-blog-award/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Andina! I'll check out the post...

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...