Friday, June 14, 2013

Review: Man Of Steel [2013]

"The Return Of A Classic Hero"


Background:
Release Date: 13 June 2013 (Malaysia)
Directed By: Zack Snyder
Written By: David S. Goyer, Christopher Nolan
Starring: Henry Cavill, Amy Adams, Russel Crowe, Diane Lane, Kevin Costner, Michael Shannon, Antje Traue, Ayelet Zurer, Dylan Sprayberry, Cooper Timberline
Duration: 143 minutes
In A Nutshell:
Planet Krypton is on the verge of destruction. It's planet top scientist, Jor-El (played by Russel Crowe) has sent out his newly-born baby son, Kal-El to seek out safety on planet earth. Here at his new home he is found and taken care of by a couple of farmers and to be raised as Clark Kent (played by Henry Cavill). However the earth's atmosphere and sun has given Clark some special powers.


Thumbs Up:
+ As is the norm, origin stories are always interesting, even the ones we already know and have seen before like this one (well, most of them..... cough.. X-Men Origins: Wolverine [2009] is not on that list... cough)
+ Jor-El was so much in a race against time to transport his son off Krypton, that he forgot to pack some red underwear. The result - the Supersuit looks awesome!!
+ Not only is the suit aesthetically appealing, Henry Cavill looks and plays the role of Superman to perfection.
+ The supporting cast (Russel Crowe, Amy Adams, Diane Lane, Kevin Costner, and Michael Shannon) gives good performances in their respective roles too.
Thumbs Down:
- A little too much action over story for my liking. From the trailers (and by loving superheroes), I was anticipating to be emotionally moved by the film. The first half of the movie got me half-way there and that was as far as it went.
- The silly red underwear is gone, but just when I thought the re-interpretation was complete by going all Tony Stark "I Am Ironman!!" on us, they still ended-up with Clark Kent disguising his identity by using only glasses. Do'oh!
- With rumors of a Justice League movie in works I was looking out for signs of a shared universe with other superhero characters. Or an after-credits scene maybe. Also looked out for Stan Lee's custom cameo. I forgot this was a DC character, not Marvel. They aren't cool enough to have any of these (I'm joking, but.... bring on the hate mail).

 

The Verdict Is In:
Last year when the first teaser trailer was revealed, I wrote on how I had mixed feelings on this movie. A year later, an the result is as expected, quite an entertaining film but not to be considered a classic superhero flick. This could have been so much more. The ending action sequence just felt too darn long. Last year's The Avenger's [2012] also had a long action finale, but yet director Joss Whedon managed to make it work. Just goes to prove that even action sequences need good storrytelling.

Considering the character of Superman is extremely invincible and lacking in pathos, it'll be interesting to see where they take the character now that the origin story is over.
Rating:
7 out of 10

18 comments:

  1. Good review Asrap. It's a good superhero movie, but considering what it could have been; there is a bit of disappointment to be taken in as well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yup... it could've been much better, but Superman has always been a difficult character to deal with. Still entertaining though.

      Delete
  2. I'm definitely going to see this one just for Henry and Amy, but I'm not getting my hopes up, seeing how it's Snyder's movie :/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I like Henry Cavill as Superman while Amy Adams isn't given much to do but does well (as she always does). I'm not a fan of Snyder but I'll give him a pass on this one... just!

      Delete
  3. "Considering the character of Superman is extremely invincible and lacking in pathos, it'll be interesting to see where they take the character now that the origin story is over."

    Easy, they'll do the origin again, and again, and again...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha... after what happened to Spiderman, that might very well happen!

      Delete
  4. Hi Asrap!! Glad that you get to see this sooner than in the US. I actually saw it on Tuesday on press screening, but couldn't help seeing it again on Saturday night :D I think we're in agreement with a lot of the points, so yeah 7/10 is fair. At the same time, I can't wait to see more sequels w/ Henry as Supes!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Henry Cavill does indeed make a good Superman. Lucky you, I envy you guys that get to go to press screenings. That is just so awesome!

      Delete
  5. I liked it more than you do! I just posted my review. But yeah, I actually glad the red panties aren't there anymore. It's just going to make this darker version of his story looked different on its own. I agree with all the positive things you've mentioned.

    So glad I'm not the only one who thinks the action was too long.

    Nice to see you reviewing again! Couldn't help but reviewing this, I guess. Well who couldn't!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Andina! I enjoyed the first half more then the second.

      I've just read your review. Lovely as always. I'm very happy that you've gave quite a few superhero movies high ratings now considering you were a non-fan before. :)

      Delete
  6. Great review!
    I've never cared much for Superman, but I wanted to give this a chance because Christopher Nolan produced it, after reading everyone's reviews, I'm trying not to get my hopes up.

    Also I tagged you in the Super Sweet Blogging Award that is going around:
    http://ramblingfilm.blogspot.com/2013/06/super-sweet-blogging-award.html

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Brittani! It did always make me wonder why Nolan decided he won't directed this himself. He probably felt it wasn't as strong as his previous work. It was good but expected more. But like how on Krypton the "S" on Superman stands for "hope".... there is still hope for further sequels. (darn... that last line sounded cheesey :P )

      Delete
  7. For whatever reason, I'm thinking there's a chance I don't see this one theatrically. The best reason I can come up with is it's too long (though, seriously, is every movie 2 hours and 20 minutes?).

    Very interesting what you said about too much action. As a kid, that was blasphemy, but now I'm completely with you. There's a point, where cool as it may be, enough is enough.

    Great review! (glad you've come back!)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Don't worry, if you only get to watch this at home, it will NOT blow-up your TV the way Human Centipede did!

      I agree, there's plenty of films from my childhood that I don't think I would enjoy if I saw them for the first time as an adult. But for nostalgic reasons, I enjoy them immensely.

      Delete
  8. i gave it slightly lower, solely sbb aku hated the origin, HATED it..pastu Superman tak abih2 tayang diri..x cover.., i do like the casting though except Diane Lane, she felt a bit off..
    tapi aku suka part action lak, a bit too matrix revolutions but janji aku terjaga, and yes aku tertido tgk MOS..

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Masa baru masuk 2013, cite nih la most anticipated movie aku.... aku rasa tahun dpn aku dah lupakan dah cite nih... not memorable at all!

      Delete
    2. memorable lagi if dibandingkan dengan Superman Returns...sumpah tak ingat apa langsung tentang cerita tu

      Delete
    3. So true, so true. Man Of Steel wasn't bad... it was OK. Just not memorable.

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...