Thursday, July 18, 2013

Homicidal Psycho Jungle Cat - A Tribute To Calvin And Hobbes

Image source and for more AWESOME Calvin and Hobbes images photoshopped into the real world = Here
Calvin and Hobbes. One of the world's most well-known and on a more personal level, one of my two all-time favourite comic-strips (the other one being Dilbert). For those who are unfamiliar, it chronicles the imaginative fantasies of a young boy named Calvin and his stuffed tiger, Hobbes. Calvin sees Hobbes as a real-life talking tiger... and also his best friend. The biggest appeal of the comic-strip to me was probably how relatable I found it to be. In a previous blog post, I had mentioned my childhood struggles with ADHD. I was that weird kid at school who would always enter his own fantasy-universe instead of paying attention in class. Superhero TV shows and movies from my childhood like Back To The Future [1985] and Star Wars [1977] fueled my imagination, and that's why I have such a strong affection to them till this very day. Other than that, what made Calvin and Hobbes so darn enjoyable was.... that it was immensely funny!

Well now a documentary has been made focusing on the comic-strip and its author, Bill Watterson. It is titled Dear Mr. Watterson and it is scheduled for release in November this year for those living in the USA. Bill Watterson does seem like an interesting person to cover. He hasn't made anything new since he stopped Calvin and Hobbes in 1995, while it is said he is hard man for people to locate. He has even refused merchandising his cartoon characters, and therefore wavering what would have been a lucrative income. Last year I got to see a documentary about another childhood hero of mine, Stan Lee in With Great Power: The Stan Lee Story [2010] and it was a fascinating watch. I would imagine Dear Mr. Watterson to be just as compelling. Below are the poster and trailer for the documentary:




Oh yeah, other than that, here's another treat for fans of the comic. This one is a fan-made spoof movie trailer by GrittyReboots. Only this time it has gone with the current Hollywood trend of being all dark and gritty. Here Calvin is all grown-up and trying to get rid of his childhood fantasies, Hobbes included. Its actually quite good and I would actually go see it if it was made into a full movie!

p/s: this blog post title "Homicidal Psycho Jungle Cat" is inspired by the title of one of the many Calvin and Hobbes Collection books.

8 comments:

  1. At my high school, each senior gets their own page in the yearbook. My good friend Sam, made his entire page out of Calvin and Hobbes cartoons. Most people thought it was kind of stupid, but if you actually read them, they all kind of spoke to the kid Sam was. I thought it was genius and it always made me appreciate the comic strip.

    I'll definitely check out this doc.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. When someone do something different or unconventional, there will always be plenty people saying its kinda stupid. I actually would be very interested in seeing your friend's page, I think it sounds cool! Just reading your description put a smile on my face

      Delete
  2. My family doesn't read English newspapers, thus I discovered Calvin & Hobbes at the age of 19 at my college's library.

    I can't remember the content of that particular strip but I recalled that it was genius & inspirational.

    After that, I searched for the comic strip compilation for years & fortunately found it in UiTM Lendu library. I was so happy, I borrowed the book & read it over & over.

    I was hooked because being an introvert, I basically live in my own world most of the time. I talk to myself & to my imaginary self.

    I love Calvin & Hobbes!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah I know, our only local newspaper that has Calvin & Hobbes that I know of is The Star. But then again, thanks to the era of the internet, we can read it online. There's even a facebook page for daily Calvin & Hobbes cartoons!

      Delete
  3. Cool! I love Calvin and Hobbes, it's so hilarious and philosophical. And that Stan Lee doc is fascinating indeed, I saw it at a local film fest a couple of yrs ago. I love how the doc highlights his family life with his wife as well as his contribution to the comic world.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Great to hear your enjoy Calvin and Hobbes too Ruth! That Stan Lee doc was fascinating and that's the thing about this behind-the-scenes docs, they give us a peek to a side we don't normally see. It'll be interesting with Bill Watterson here as he's quite a private guy.

      Delete
    2. It's funny that my brother and I share our love for comics, so we read Tintin as a kid and Calvin & Hobbes in Jr high. Do you read Tintin too? I still read the Indonesian translation of it to this day :D

      Delete
    3. Although I recognized the character, I wasn't really familiar with Tintin. I'm a little embarrassed to say I was first exposed to Tintin through the Speilberg animation a few years back. But oh well, better late than never :)

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...