Thursday, July 11, 2013

Xpress Review: Pacific Rim [2013]

"Today, We Are Cancelling The Apocalypse!!"



Directed By: Guillermo Del Toro
Written By: Travis Beachim, Guillermo Del Toro
Starring: Charlie Hunnam, Rinko Kikuchi, Idris Elba, Max Martini, Robert Kazinsky, Charlie Day, Burn Gorman, Ron Perlman,
The Story: For a long time, mankind feared an alien invasion coming from the sky. Instead, giant alien creatures known as "Kaiju" emerge from a portal deep beneath the Pacific Ocean and causing massive destruction to the countries they invade. The world forces join together to create giant robots, known as "Jaegers", which must be controlled by two human pilots each. As the war worsens, the fate of the world is now relied on a former Jaeger pilot, Raleigh (played by Charlie Hunnam) and a rookie, Mako Mori (played by Rinko Kikichi)
The Verdict: Almost everything in this movie is large scale and grand. The CGI are great, especially scenes of the early appearances of the Kaijus (to the next Godzilla movie, this will be the standard expected of you). The action, whether the large scale robots vs monsters, or even the small scale human-human fight sequences are tightly executed (although there are still a few which are exaggeratedly done... this is Hollywood afterall). The story, although having nothing groundbreaking, is still interesting enough to keep us investing our time in. A solid and entertaining piece of summer blockbuster movie.
Special Shout Out: # The film's score - loved it! # The child actor who played a young Mako Mori (played by Mana Ashida) - she was great! Give her more roles!
Rating: 7.5 out of 10

22 comments:

  1. Good review Asrap. Had a good time with the movie, just also feels like a bit of a bummer knowing what del Toro has been able to do in the past with his movies.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was a good time watching this. Of del Toro's work, I'm only familiar with Pan's Labyrinth and the two Hellboy films... but I'd say he's done well here too.

      Delete
  2. Great review Asrap! I rolled my eyes the first time I heard that 'cancelin' the apocalypse' line in the trailer but it was actually pretty emotional by the time he said it in the film. As you know I love this film, which is such a pleasant surprise!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Ruth! I know what you mean, in isolation it does sound cheesy! But in context with the movie, I'd be inspired hearing that form Idris Elba if I were a Jaeger pilot too!

      Delete
  3. Can't wait to see this one, I heard nothing but praise so far.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Considering your affection for Idris Elba, I think you'll enjoy this one! He really shines in his role here.

      Delete
  4. This is the best popcorn movie ever!!

    Since I love CGI & cool visual effects, this movie is indeed great for me...

    The script is kinda weak but they managed to cover it up with interesting fighting scenes & giant spectacle...

    I wish they could give something more for Mako Mori to work with... She had only a few lines...

    Do you think there's a chance for a sequal?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, indeed it is a very enjoyable popcorn movie! The sequel makes sense... if it makes a lot of money worldwide. That's the way Hollywood works!

      Delete
  5. aku tgk IMAX, mmg best gilaaaaa!
    dan aku setuju...the part budak Jap tu nangis..aku sedih..good acting there..as for the adult Jap girl..suka slang dia ..cute :P
    overall mmg syok ah, tapi aku x rasa if tgk dvd cerita ni akan sama best

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. haha... aku x penah tgk cite kat IMAX lagi, tp mmg teringin gila... tp aku rasa Pacific Rim ni la antara paling sesuai tgk IMAX kan?
      aku pas tgk cite nih, tetiba nak tgk cita2 Godzilla yg lama2... hehe..

      Delete
  6. Probably will check this one out on dvd, for the visual effects. Doesn't seem like my food though :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The visuals in this one are a real treat. Nice to hear from you Andina!

      Delete
  7. Seeing this tomorrow, very excited!
    Nice review by the way!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! Hope you enjoy it, I hear its great in IMAX!

      Delete
  8. Nice review. I enjoyed Pacific Rim too!

    Pacific Rim makes up for its lack of interesting characters with its impressive entertainment value. It may not be the Guillermo del Toro film I wanted, but it easily stands as one of the most entertaining films of 2013.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! As a pure popcorn movie... Pacific Rim really does deliver. The only regret I have is not seeing it in IMAX!

      Delete
    2. I have yet to see a movie in IMAX too. I'm hoping to make Gravity my first though.

      Delete
  9. When literature student Anastasia Steele goes to interview young entrepreneur Christian Grey, she encounters a man who is beautiful, brilliant, and intimidating.
    Movie Fifty shades Of Grey on Screen.... to watch whole erotic romance...
    Anastasia Steele

    ReplyDelete
  10. I couldn't get into this movie. I really liked the cgi but the movie itself was just boring and totally predictable. From what I hear the studio was counting on this being a "summer blockbuster " and it fell very short of this.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree it was predictable, but most summer blockbusters usually are like that. I guess I enjoyed it because it appealed to the little kid inside of me... robots, monsters, etc.... I'm a sucker for nostalgia!! :P

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...