Wednesday, August 28, 2013

List: 10 Favourite Food Movies

So, it seems that I've been a way for quite some time. Earlier on in the month it was because I was celebrating Eidul Fitri. But then after that I was struck with dengue fever for over a week. Easily the worst I've felt in my entire life. It was also the first time that I ever been admitted into the hospital. I kept trying to cheer myself up during that period by joking that this was the mosquitoes' way of revenge for a dig I made about them in this particular blog post right here. But enough about that. If you also remember, in that same blog post I also wrote on how much I love food. Yes, I'm absolutely passionate about it! So after a long absence from blogging, I've cooked-up (sorry, couldn't resist the pun) my list of Favourite Food Movies for your reading.....

p/s: If you're like me and enjoy both movies and food, you can check-out this cool blog that I found that combines both... A Dash Of Cinema which is run by Lauren.

# Honorable Mention - Waitress [2007]

Storywise, there's nothing special about this flick starring former Mouseketeer, Kerri Russell and Nathan Fillion. But my, oh my, the pies in this movie look heavenly mouthwatering!

#10 "Chasing The American Dream" ~ Big Night [1996]


I love Italian food. Okay, I actually love all kinds of food. But the big feast prepared by Tony Shalhoub and Stanley Tucci is absolutely amazing. This is my first introduction to the "timpano", but if ever there was a food for a feast, that is it!

Selected Quote: "A guy works all day, he doesn't want to look at his plate and ask 'what the fuck is this?' He wants to look at his plate, see a steak, and say 'I like steak!' "

#9 "Who The Hell Eats 5000 Calories Per Day?" ~ Super Size Me [2004]


I haven't totally given-up on fast food yet (come on.... burgers are one of the biggest joys that life can offer), but that amount has lessen considerably after watching this documentary. Anyway, who the hell consumes that many calories to begin with. I actually believe there's no unhealthy food.... just the amount that you consume makes it unhealthy.

Selected Quote: "This is the best part of the day, when i get to be fat, on the bed, with my quart of Coke"

#8 "Corporate Dominance" ~ Food, Inc. [2008]


Everything wrong with the American food industry is exposed in this documentary here. And just like Super Size Me [2004] at #9, it can be traced down to McDonalds. No wonder chef Jamie Oliver recently labelled the fast food chain to dog food!

Selected Quote: "Even if you don't eat at a fast food restaurant, you're now eating food that's produced from this system"

#7 "She Knows Exactly What Your Favourite Chocolate Is" ~ Chocolat [2000]


A charming story with strong performances from Juliette Binoche, Judi Dench, Johnny Depp, and Alfred Molina, who always makes a good bad-guy (yes it was him at the beginning of Raiders Of The Lost Ark [1981] ). Plus that ability of Juliette Binoche to guess people's favourite type of  chocolate is actually quite cool!

Selected Quote: "Chili pepper in hot chocolate? Pshh!!"

#6 "Free Advertising Or Best Product Placement?" ~ Harold & Kumar Go To White Castle [2004]


I think most people have experienced food cravings like the one Harold & Kumar had. We go to great lengths just to satisfy that craving. Only it isn't as eventful of a journey as these guys ended-up having!

Selected Quote: "Did Doogie Howser just steal my fucking car?"

#5 "The Original Is Always The Best" ~ Willy Wonka & The Chocolate Factory [1971]


I saw the Tim Burton/Johnny Depp remake (which I enjoyed) before I saw this one, but there's a clear winner. The original is far superior. Plus just like when watching The Wizard Of Oz [1939], you realize that less CGI and more emphasis on props and make-up actually creates a more magical world! Don't even get me started on the same subject for the original Star Wars trilogy vs the prequels....

Selected Quote: "Invention is 93% perspiration, 6% electricity, 4% evaporation, and 2% butterscotch ripple"

#4 "The Wacky Parody" ~ The God Of Cookery (Sik san) [1996]


How much you enjoy this depends on how much you fancy Stephen Chow's brand of zany comedy. Here you get beef-balls that can be used to play table tennis and rice that makes you cry when you eat it (its called sorrowful rice after all). I'm one who loves the comedy! Just like Jackie Chan, Stephen Chow's best movies are his earlier works before he made Hollywood movies.

Selected Quote (translated): "Since eating 'Pissing Beef Balls', I find myself much cleverer, I've got full marks on each examination"

#3 "The Best Food In The World Is Made In France!" ~ Ratatouille [2007]


How can you not fall in love with food when you feast your eyes with what's on display in this Pixar classic. The movie seems to get better with each new viewing... but its version of the ratatouille dish still remains as beautiful and delicious (from the looks of it at least) as always!

Selected Quote: "Good food is like music you can taste, color you can smell. There is excellence all around you. You need only to be aware to stop and savor it"

#2 "Food & Weather Puns" ~ Cloudy With A Chance Of Meatballs [2009]


I remember enjoying this movie a lot when it first came out. But after revisiting it again recently, I have a whole new level of appreciation towards it. Its extremely funny!!! Can't wait for the sequel which will be coming out soon.

Selected Quote: "You may have seen a meteor shower, but I bet you've never seen a shower 'meatier' than this!"

#1 "Nora Ephron's Final Movie" ~ Julie & Julia [2009]


Confession. I had no idea who Julia Child was before I saw this movie. I actually thought to myself "why is the great Meryl Streep making this funny, high-pich voice?". To my surprise is that Julia Child actually sounded like that. I love this movie. Nora Ephron left us with a gem! Its charming, heart-warming, and there's great food on display too. Plus, its one of my inspirations when I decided to start blogging way back when.

Selected Quote: "And let me say this. Is there anything better than butter? Think it over. Every time you taste something that's delicious beyond imagining, and you say 'what's in this?' the answer is always going to be... butter!"

20 comments:

  1. Great list.

    I'm actually excited to bring the little one to Cloudy with a Chance of Meatballs 2 (whenever it comes out). Shrimpanzees!

    So many good food movies. Wasabi was a lot of fun, though the actual wasabi had a minor role. The Slammin' Salmon too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks. I believe Cloudy 2 will be out on the 27 September. Excited to see it.

      Thanks for the 2 movie recommendations. Haven't seen them and like always, I never really watch enough movies to come up with lists like these. But then again, not many people do :)

      Delete
  2. Great list! I made the mistake of trying White Castle after seeing that movie, and their food is horrible. Wow.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks. I don't have White Castle where I live, but I must say I've been curious to taste it since seeing the movie!

      Delete
  3. I'm a bit sad that 'No Reservation' nor 'Mostly Martha' (the original German version of the latter) did not make it to your list. But hey! It was a superb list you got there. I love Chocolat (the real french spelling for the movie) and Stephen Chow Sing Chi's God of Cookery the most!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for mentioning those movies, I love good movie recommendations. No Reservation has been on my to-see list for quite some time. I think it was on TV a while back but I missed it. Haven't seen Mostly Martha yet, but it does sound interesting!

      Delete
  4. GOOD OF COOKERY! LOL yg tu lawak gilaaaaaaaaaa , aku jarang tgk cerita cina..tapi yg ni..adei la

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aku jarang tgk cite cina gak tp aku suka Stephen Chow! Ada lagi satu cerita dia pasal restaurent kalo x silap... tak ingat tajuk.

      Delete
    2. aku satu lagi tgk yg King of Comedy..gila la mamat Chow ni..mmg lawak..tapi cerita2 latest dia aku xnah tgk...kurang menarik hati kot..

      Delete
    3. Cite2 latest dia cam Kung Fu Hustle & Shaolin Soccer best tapi baki aku kurang "kick" banding cite2 lama dia. Fevret aku setakat nih Forbidden City Cop ngan Trick Master!

      Delete
  5. Great list, Asrap! I remember Julie & Julia are full of scrumptious food scenes. I remember Waitress too, now I'm not even a fan of pies but that movie made me want to get some, same w/ Chocolat with well, chocolates :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't eat much pies myself, but don't they look yummy in Waitress? Chocolates I think most people enjoy too, while Julie & Julia was an entertaining and charming film too!

      Delete
  6. Great list! I've enjoyed many of these movies, especially Chocolat. Chocolate has never been so erotic. :-D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No wonder they say chocolate is an aphrodisiac! But I guess Juliette Binoche's character made it even more erotic. Plus there was Johnny Depp! :)

      Delete
  7. Great list, Asrap! So sorry you hear you got sick. I also quite busy with Ied Fitri, lots to do!

    I know what you mean about Waitress, I love how she created the pie recipes!

    I agree with Ratatouille, Chocolat & definitely Julie & Julia. Julie & Julia also the first movie I reviewed, and kind of gave me the extra boost to do blogging.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah... I didn't really find the story Waitress that interesting but the pies were amazing.

      Julie & Julia is kinda inspiring... setting a goal and pursuing our passion. Only for us its movie blogging instead of food.

      Delete
  8. It's way too early in the morning for me to be craving White Castle... Great list! I like how some make you want to eat what's on screen and others make you never want to eat anything ever again. Another good one is The Trip. There's a ton of food, some looks great, others really weird & fancy but it definitely made me hungry.

    Only part of Julie & Julia that I didn't like was the ending when Julia refused to meet her. I have to chalk it up to a big misunderstanding but it just seemed so out of character. I know it's probably based on what really happened but it just did not sit well. You can't be mean to Amy Adams!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Jess! I do personally believe it was a misunderstanding and Julia never actually read the blog. Someone probably just told her about it or she read it somewhere. That's the only downside to what was generally an uplifting movie!

      Delete
  9. Great list!

    Ratatouille and CWACOM came to mind for me too.
    On a side note, I'm excited for the sequel. The trailer looks hilarious.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It does. The directors have changed but it still looks fun. It'll only open here next month however.

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...