Tuesday, September 17, 2013

Review: Monsters Wanted [2013]

"I was kinda born spooky! The first horror movie I saw, I was three, was Poltergeist"


Background:
Release Date: 27 July 2013 (USA)
Directed By: Brian Cunningham, Joe Laughrey
Written By: Brian Cunningham, Joe Laughrey
Featuring: Richard Teachout, Janel Nash
Duration: 149 minutes
In A Nutshell:
 A documentary that follows Richard Teachout who quits his job and together with his partner, Janel Nash, pour all their savings into creating the ultimate "Haunted Theme Park". Viewers will discover how much dedication, hard work, sacrifices, and money it takes to turn their dream into reality.

Image from MonstersWanted.com
Thumbs Up:
+ The Haunted Theme Park is quite awesome! Super-fun! I'd imagine it would be a horror fan's dream. Although I can't say I belong into that category, I would love to go there myself!
+ "Chainsaw Pete" and "Shawna The Dead" - two of the best characters at the Park
+ The Transworld Halloween & Attractions Show. Gosh! It must be horror-geek heaven!
+ The Halloween celebrations in Louisville. People would have a great time there.
Thumbs Down:
- Not as thought provoking or emotionally-tugging. Not all documentaries need to be deep, but the ones that don't, tend to be forgotten more easily.
- Although we do understand the struggles Richard and Janel had to endure, we don't really connect/care with the people/characters involved. The Park is the main source of interest here.

Image from MonstersWanted.com
The Verdict Is In:
I don't consider myself a horror fan (I can't stomach gore and the fact that I'm chicken might also have something to do with it), but I've always found myself fascinated and intrigued with Halloween and haunted-attractions. The problem I face is (1) they don't celebrate Halloween here, and (2) as far as I know, there's only one haunted theme park in the entire country (which unfortunately I haven't visited yet). So its a pleasant surprise to see what a huge industry it is in the USA. Overall, Monsters Wanted [2013] would be an entertaining watch for anyone with an interest in Halloween and "Scare Attractions".
Rating:
6.5 out of 10

2 comments:

  1. Hmmm, I don't think this is my cup of tea at all Asrap :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha... I do know that you're not a fan of horror. The theme park and Halloween celebrations are the attractions of this documentary. It doesn't have much going for it other than that!

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...