Friday, November 29, 2013

Review: Frozen [2013]

"Some People Are Worth Melting For"



Background:
Release Date: 28 November 2013 (Malaysia), 27 November 2013 (USA)
Directed By: Chris Buck, Jennifer Lee
Written By: Jennifer Lee, Chris Buck, Shane Morris
Voiced By: Kristen Bell, Idina Menzel, Jonathan Groff, Josh Gad, Santino Fontana, Alan Tudyk
Duration: 85 minutes
In A Nutshell:
Princess Elsa (voiced by Idina Menzel) is born with magical snow/ice powers. But her powers are uncontrollable. In order to protect her, she is ostracized from the rest of the world, including from her sister Anna (voiced by Kristen Bell). On her 18th birthday, which is also her coronation as queen, an argument with Anna results in her secret powers being exposed to rest of the world. Panicking, Elsa runs to the North Mountains but as she leaves, the entire kingdom is turned frozen. Anna seeks to reunite with her sister which is also the only way to save the kingdom from the icy weathers.

Image source here
Thumbs Up:
+ Vintage Disney #1: A return to the classic universe where everything's magical, fun, and joyful.
+ Vintage Disney #2: Enchanting songs sung with mesmerizing perfection. Now this is true magic!
+ Vintage Disney #3: The animal and non-human sidekicks providing the best humors. Here we have a reindeer named Sven along with a living and talking snowman named Olaf (voiced by Josh Gad).
+ Not one, but two strong female characters in both Anna and Elsa.
+ Heck, almost everyone else is a lovable character!
+ I know outstanding visuals are now a minimum requirement in animation nowadays, but Frozen really blew me away. The creation of the Elsa's ice-castle in particular was truly imaginative.
+ Short animated film shown before Frozen. I like that they're going the Pixar route by showing these shorts. Get A Horse! [2013] is a nice combination between classic slapstick cartoons and modern animation.
Thumbs Down:
- Even for a Disney film, I would have preferred something other than the "can only be cured by an act of true love" angle. Well, that's what I initially thought. Turns out that the angle serves the film very well (no more spoilers!). Consider this current point a "pseudo-thumbs down" then! ;P
- An absence of a worthy/mean villain. Where's the likes of an evil step mother when you need one?



The Verdict Is In:
Life lately has once again been extremely hectic for me. The last time I went to the cinema to see a movie was almost one whole month ago during the opening of Thor [2013]. I needed a really feel-good movie for my dose of escapism (because darn, I desperately do need it right now). Thankfully Frozen [2013] lived-up to those expectations. A genuinely fun and magically world to completely immerse myself in. With recent movies like Tangled [2010], Wreck-It Ralph [2012], and now Frozen [2013] all being top-notch features, it seems like Disney has returned to its golden-era of animation of the 80s and 90s. Heck, this current batch of movies, dare I say it, might even be slightly better!
Rating:
8.5 out of 10

12 comments:

  1. This was a pretty damn charming movie. Granted, I didn't expect to hate it, but not come as close to loving it as I did. Good review Asrap.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Dan! It was a charming movie. I was suffering from mental fatigue before I was watching it and it lifted my mood up tremendously!

      Delete
  2. This sounds delightful! Bummer that I missed the screening as I was on holiday, but I'll be sure to rent it when it comes out!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Ruth! Hope you had a great holiday! If I'm correct, you're a fan of classic Disney animations too right? If true, I have a feeling you'll enjoy this one too! It is delightful!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Asrap, I had a great Thanksgiving break. Yeah I'm a huge fan of Disney movies. In fact, stop by on the 5th as I'm featuring Walt Disney on my monthly series :D

      Delete
    2. Cool! I'm looking forward to it already!!

      Delete
  4. aku pon nak tgk cerita ni memula sbb reviews were positive.
    tapi member aku semua nak tgk PENANGGAL of all things...and let me tell u ..i went on a twitterage lepas tgk cerita bangang tu..ugh..

    anyway..minggu ni lah tgk..eh tapi Kolumpo which looks nice :P
    p/s : aku turn off ngan snowman tu actually dlm trailer..adakah dia annoying?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha... xde keinginan langsung tgk Penanggal... walaupon kalo tyg kat TV n xde benda lain nak buat... hehe..

      Actually Kolumpo does look nice. Mula perasaan masa tgk video clip Yuna & Qi Razali - KL Kita. Pastu baru2 ni tgk trailer cite tu... mmg nampak interesting.

      To me, Olaf... the snowman... is actually quite funny. But depends on peoples sense of humour la I guess. Dia type of character yg slalu ada dlm cite komedi yg terover byk ckp... some people do find that annoying. Tp bg aku dia agak kalakar pasal dia jenis byk ckp tp bkn yg jenis loudmouth.

      Delete
  5. Seems worth checking out esp. after seeing it nominated in Golden Globes. Although with my schedules, I'll be likely to check it out with my niece and nephew on DVD ;) Nice write-up.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I would pay too much attention to the Golden Globes.... there's only 3 films competing for Best Animation! :)
      But it is a charming movie I have to say!

      Delete
  6. "Even for a Disney film, I would have preferred something other than the "can only be cured by an act of true love" angle. "

    Totally agree. I liked that the poked fun at that in the first half, and then they go and do that? Bugged me a little.
    Frozen was cute and good fun, didn't like it as much as Tangled though.

    Lovely review. Visuals were definitely outstanding.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Actually I like how they concluded the "true love" angle.... it was different than expected. I love Tangled.... and along with Wreck It Ralph and Frozen, Disney is heading towards the right direction.

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...