Thursday, April 3, 2014

Retro TV: Spider-Man And His Amazing Friends [1981-1983]

"Okay, trusty old camera, time to make a couple of bucks!"

Photo taken from here
For as long as I've known, I've always loved superheroes. Right from when I first learned to read and was as tall as an Ewok, all the way through the present day as a fully grown adult who is as tall as Luke Skywalker (I'm only estimating... but I'm pretty sure I'm too short to be a Stormtrooper), that affection towards humans with incredible abilities have never faded.

But watching Captain America: Winter Soldier [2014] last week (which was totally awesome!! Review here), especially its geek-activating mid-credits scene, made me realize how much I crave a bigger Marvel universe. That mid-credits scene included *mild spoiler alert* two characters that can appear in two different franchises owned my two different movie studios *end of spoiler*.

Some of you are already aware that the characters from Marvel comics are own by different movie studios. So characters from different studios can't appear in the same movie. That's why we don't see Spider-Man in an Avengers movie or a film where Wolverine and The Hulk faces off. Except of course the characters in spoilers mentioned above. Here's an awesome infographic, courtesy of The Geek Twins on what studio owns what character (click on the photo for a larger view):


Now if only the studios can work together and we can finally get the crossovers and larger Marvel universe that we crave for. What does this have to do with the title of this post? Well a taste of what's possible if the studios collaborated can be seen in one of my favorite animated series from my childhood.... Spider-Man And His Amazing Friends [1981-1983]. I've included this series for reasons: (A) I'm a nostalgic guy, and (B) I don't watch a lot of TV shows nowadays, so aren't familiar with today's Marvel animations


Aw, man... catchy theme song too!! The show featured plenty of crossovers like the X-Men, Hulk, Dr. Stange, Iron Man, The Fantastic Four, and even Shanna The Jungle Queen. There were also villians like The Green Goblin, Magneto, Juggernaut, Mysterio, Electro, Dr. Doom, Red Skull, and Loki. Now how awesome is that! Let's hope one day this larger cinematic Marvel universe becomes a reality. 

But in the mean time, check out this episode where Spider-Man (and his amazing friends -- Iceman and Firestar) meets the X-Men.....

8 comments:

  1. My friends and I were just talking about this the other night. If only one would own all then we really would get a movie that was so good!!! Tomorrow night I finally get to see Captain America!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. One studio owning them all would be perfect, but it can still happen now if the different studios agree to collaborate.

      Hope you enjoy the movie, I know I did!

      Delete
  2. Ha.. ha.. fun post Asrap. I've always loved superheroes too, but glad we've come a long way since some of the super cheesy TV shows. I mean the Capt America TV show, and Batman too, were just ridiculous!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We've come a very long way.... and not just for superhero movies!

      I've never seen the Capt. America TV serie but the Adam West Batman was ultra-chessy.... yet I still enjoy seeing it!!!

      Delete
  3. That visual guide explains and make things clearer. After all of the epicness of today's visual effects, seeing simpler things (retro shows) definitely interesting :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah... the visual guide is great especially where Stan Lee is placed. No one owns Stan Lee!!

      Retro shows does have its charm, especially to a nostalgic guy like me!

      Delete
  4. firestar recently became an x-men ...yay ...saja je ckp
    aku pernah tgk spidy n his amazing friends...tapi tak tgk religiously ...
    so mmg aku xnah tgk ep yg ada x-men tu...nanti2 nak tgk...thanks for this!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ikut tv series nih firestar ngan iceman mmg asal dari x-men sblom join ngan spidy... dua2 mutant...

      Fun fact: Stan Lee created Firestar specifically for the tv show. She didn't appear in any comics before that

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...