Friday, May 16, 2014

Review: Godzilla [2014]

"Let Them Fight!!!"


Background:
Release Date: 15 May 2014 (Malaysia), 16 May 2014 (USA)
Directed By: Gareth Edwards
Written By: Max Borenstein, Dave Callaham
Starring: Aaron Taylor-Johnson, Elizabeth Olsen, Bryan Cranston, Ken Watanabe, Sally Hawkins, David Strathairn
Duration: 123 minutes
In A Nutshell:
Joe Brody's (played by Bryan Cranston) wife died 15 years ago in a horrific incident at a nuclear power plant in Japan. He believes there is more to the story and the government are hiding something from everyone. His son, Ford (played by Aaron Taylor-Johnson) doesn't believe him. They soon find out something indeed has been kept secret all this time. Something HUGE.


Thumbs Up:
+ Just like how our buildings now dwarf those during the same era, this Godzilla make the original one from Gojira [1954] seem like an infant.
+ Fire-breathing monsters. Yeay!
+ Godzilla's final kill.... money shot right there baby!!
+ David Straithairn (playing Admiral Stenz). I always love seeing him on screen. Small role but a commanding presence as usual.
Thumbs Down:
- Nice try with the human drama. I could see what they were attempting but to me it was extremely lackluster.
- Despite the huge crisis, and people loosing their love ones, I didn't get emotionally-attached or root for any of the characters
- So a thumbs down on the drama and characters, what about the action? The CGI was great but the action was sparse and weren't as exciting as I hoped it to be.
- A movie about Godzilla which has very little Godzilla. This is supposed to be a monster movie, people!!


The Verdict Is In:
What happened July last year = "Wow, I just saw Pacific Rim [2013] and it was awesome! Hey, isn't there a Godzilla remake coming out next year? After seeing this movie, I can't wait for that one!"

What happened last Week = "The new Godzilla is coming out next week, boy, am I excited! The trailer and poster looks cool too. I'll hype myself even more by watching Gojira [1952], King Kong vs. Godzilla [1962] and Godzilla vs. Mechagodzilla [1974]."

The three movies I watched last week
What happened in the cinema while watching the movie = "Trailers! Wow, the Ninja Turtles. Megan Fox is hot! ...... The movie is starting, I'm excited ....... all this teasing of the monster is suspenseful ..... hey, Aaron Taylor-Johson and Elizabeth Olsen are playing husband-wife and making out! Gonna feel weird when they play twins in Avengers 2 next year! ...... all this drama is kinda boring.... yup, still boring.... getting even more boring..... GODZILLA!!! .... boring again.... GODZILLA!!! ..... hmm, somehow the action isn't as good.... why am I thinking of Pacific Rim right now? .... boring .... Pacific Rim was great last year.... boring.... GODZILLA!! ... ermm, that's it? ..... boring again.... I wanna watch Pacific Rim again after this for the umpteenth time... bored again.... Darn it! this movie sucks!!! I was hyped for this? Thank God X-Men is coming out nest week!!"
Rating:
5.5 out of 10

12 comments:

  1. ALAMAK!
    aku tgk sabtu ni...siap bawak member yg jarang tgk wayang
    mampus kena bebel

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. xpe... masih ada harapan... its getting high ratings on the internet... maybe its just me

      Delete
  2. Yeah, too much human drama and it took WAY too long for the monster to finally show up! I don't know why they went with such a serious plot w/ this one, Pac Rim was fun as it didn't take itself too seriously.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree with you! I understand what they were attempting to do with keeping Godzilla off the screen for long periods. But the drama and characters were just not interesting enough for me. The most disappointing thing about this is I had high hopes for the movie.

      Delete
  3. Good review Asrap. It was all about the build-up with this and for me, that's what worked the most.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The build-up was fine for the first few minutes of the film. After a while I was just bored! But then again I seem to be the only one who gave this a bad review, so what do I know!

      Delete
  4. Holy CRAP!! That whole commentary at the end of your post was EXACTLY how I felt. BORING. Why did they want to set off the bomb and then all of a sudden they wanted to turn it off?? confused. (spoiler) Plus what was with Brian (Breaking Bad) dying so early in the beginning. I mean he was in all the trailers then poof gone out of the movie. BORING BORING BORING. I don't even know if I want to do a review but I guess I will. You inspired me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. haha... and saw it during a midnight screening, so it made me sleepy too!

      I think they wanted to set off the bomb in the ocean at first but then the MUTO brought it to the city when millions of people were, so that's why they wanted to defuse it. Still a lame excuse for a plot anyway!

      Cranston was just like Godzilla, people wanted to see them, but both had very little screen time. I look forward to reading your review if you ever get to it... it's gonna be interesting!

      Delete
  5. Yeah, maybe too much expectation can actually make the movie worst than it is? But I haven't seen this one. Bummer, looks like a bad movie experience for you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I guess so, that's the downfall of anticipation. But after analyzing, I still don't think I'd enjoyed if I wasn't all hyped up!

      Hey, Andina... I don't know if its just me, but I been having problems accessing your site for the past month or so. It takes an extremely long time to load.

      Delete
  6. I didn't think there was too much human drama at all. I thought it was a nice touch. I'm sorry you didn't like it more, but you're right. That final kill was awesome.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That final kill was indeed cool! I didn't enjoy it, but it seems I'm in a minority. I believe more people enjoy than not.

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...