Saturday, May 31, 2014

Xpress Reviews: Edge Of Tomorrow [2014] & Maleficent [2014]

Summer movie season. Lots of movies to see. Yet extremely busy & so little time.  A quick (read lazy) review will have to do then.

# Edge Of Tomorrow [2014]

"What I'm About To Tell You Sounds Crazy"



Directed By: Doug Liman
Written By: Christopher McQuarrie, Jez Butterworth, John-Henry Butterworth
Starring: Tom Cruise, Emily Blunt, Brendan Gleeson, Bill Paxton
The Story: Major William Cage (played by Tom Cruise) is forced to fight together in a war against aliens but gets trapped in a time-loop. He seeks the help of Special Forces soldier Rita Vrataski (played by Emily Blunt).
The Verdict: After seeing so many Tom Cruise movies throughout the years, it was pretty hard in the beginning to believe that his character was pretty much a coward. With the movie being about a time-loop and going all 'Groundhog Day', editing needed to perfectly done to keep us entertained. The movie succeeded in not only doing that but also provided us with impressive action and also comedy.
I've said it before, no matter how wacky Tom Cruise's real life is, he has real on-screen charisma and his films are mostly value for money. Edge Of Tomorrow is without doubt an entertaining and bona-fide summer movie! (now if only I were in a time-loop myself, perhaps this would have been a better-written review)
Rating: 8.5 out of 10

# Maleficent [2014]

"Oh Dear. What An Awkward Situation"



Directed By: Robert Stromberg
Written By: Linda Woolverton
Starring: Angelina Jolie, Sharlto Copley, Elle Fanning, Sam Riley, Lesley Manville, Imelda Staunton, Juno Temple
The Story: Maleficent (played by Angelina Jolie), is powerful and vindictive fairy who casts a spell on the kingdom's newly born princess, Aurora (played by Elle Fanning)
The Verdict: The ratings for this movie before I saw it was pretty low. However about half way through, my mind was made up -- I disagree with the critics! This is a fresh retelling of a classic fairy-tale, it was both dark and sweet at the same time. Angelina Jolie as Maleficent is a majestic presence presence through out the movie and steals the show!
Rating: 7.5 out of 10

8 comments:

  1. I was excited for Edge of Tomorrow simply because I read the manga version All You Need is Kill (better titled) and I love the story concept. Sort of like Source Code's.

    The movie didn't show how frustrating it is for the main character to live die and repeat again & again. In the manga, the main character was very depressed before he got to meet Rita.

    Overall, I agree with you that the movie is great! Tom Cruise is as good as expected. Though I was hoping to see more of Rita (Emily Blunt) in action because Rita manga version is a badass (though oddly sweet) killer with a huge heavy axe.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The manga version sounds cool! I might want to check it out then!

      Maybe they did make Tom Cruise's character very frustrated but had to edit it out... the movie is already 2 hours long. I think they did it just about right... viewers might get bored viewing the same situation repeated many times... despite Cruise handling it differently.

      Delete
  2. I'm a little skeptical of Tom Cruise, but I do agree he has charisma. He wouldn't have had the staying power in Hollywood if he didn't. I just wish he wasn't so typecast...particularly when battling aliens. I'm a little tired of seeing him in the same roles. I'll watch this one eventually.

    I really want to see 'Maleficent.' I was a little disappointed that the critics didn't like it. I'm still going to see it though.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He is typecast! That's why in the beginning of the movie seeing his character as coward was rather... well, weird!

      I enjoyed Maleficent a lot, despite what the critics say!

      Delete
  3. I am behind on seeing movies but my family has left so I am back in business. I saw Maleficent last night. It was only OK for me. I did love the new story, but there was just something missing. I plan on seeing the Edge of Tomorrow this weekend. Love Tom Cruise (as an actor).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad to hear you're back watching movies. To be honest, judging from the early ratings I went to see Maleficent expecting a train wreck. Ended up enjoying it.

      I think Tom Cruise is a good actor and his movies are mostly enjoyable. This one is I enjoy a lot!

      Delete
  4. My kids love Maleficent. So does me and my wife. The story was refreshing and more importantly more believable than the original version.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Agreed! If a rebooting is done right, its a movie like this! Thanks Ismail!

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...