Friday, July 11, 2014

Review: Dawn Of The Planet Of The Apes [2014]

"Ape Do Not Kill Ape"


Background:
Release Date: 10 July 2014 (Malaysia), 11 July 2014 (USA)
Directed By: Matt Reeves
Written By: Rick Jaffa, Amanda Silver, Mark Bomback
Starring: Andy Serkis, Toby Kebbell, Jason Clarke, Nick Thurston, Keri Russell, Gary Oldman
Duration: 130 minutes


In A Nutshell:
[Description by Twentieth Century Fox] A growing nation of genetically evolved apes led by Caesar is threatened by a band of human survivors of the devastating virus unleashed a decade earlier. They reach a fragile peace, but it proves short-lived, as both sides are brought to the brink of a war that will determine who will emerge as Earth's dominant species.

Thumbs Up:
+ The movie is all about emotional resonance, and the apes, yes those motion-capture apes display them with abundance. Even more so than the human actors.
+ The first time the humans encounter the apes in the woods. I'd shit in my pants too if I were in their position.
+ The apes march down to the city to send a warning to the humans. That's twice now I'd shit my in my pants if I were human.
+ Caesar (played by Andy Serkis). Everything about him, his body language, demeanor, how he speaks, everything just screams of alpha-male.
+ Koba (played by Toby Kebbell) deviously portraying a funny circus ape. He showed better acting there than anyone in the Transformers movies.


Thumbs Down:
- I love animal face-offs, they're like cross-over fights for animals. The Discovery Channel had a show specifically for this. Lion vs Tiger. Walrus vs Polar Bear. Sperm Whale vs Colossal Squid. What I've always wanted to see however was a Grizzly Bear vs a Gorilla. So when the Grizzly appeared early in the movie I thought my wish was going to be granted. Didn't happen. Missed opportunity.
- Gary Oldman. The great actor is underused.
- The apes' sign language. One swift of the hand seemed like it represented a full sentence of 30 words!


The Verdict Is In:
The hallmark of a good storyteller is when he is able to make a predictable story become entertaining. Its not about the destination, but its about the journey. And that's exactly what happens here. Let's face it, this movie was a little predictable. You knew how things would unfold in the end but the 130 minutes here was far from being a bore. Aided by great performances, this was a thoroughly enjoyable movie.

In yesterday's blog post, I made a rundown of the seven previous Planet Of The Apes films. With this latest addition, it looks like the franchise is getting stronger and stronger. Hail Caesar!
Rating:
8.5 out of 10

18 comments:

  1. Ha, I actually do remember that show "versus." I think there was a great white versus an alligator virtual mashup. I can't remember who won that one. I keep hearing great things about this film. I'm going to go see it tomorrow.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If I remember correctly the shark own. It was no challenge!

      I look forward to reading your views. Hope you enjoy it!

      Delete
  2. Whoa I am looking forward to this. Was blown away with the first one. I hope I'll be as impressed. Andy Serkis is something, right?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Serkis is awesome as always, but so are the other people playing motion capture apes. They can still exude a lot of emotion even through those CGI.

      Delete
  3. To be honest I am going to wait for video on this one. I just didn't love the first one though, yes it was good. Your review does have me excited to see it though. The next theater movie I am going to see is Hercules. Love the Rock.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Although his movies have been hit and miss for me, I love The Rock too! Will definitely check out Hercules.

      Delete
  4. The apes' sign language. One swift of the hand seemed like it represented a full sentence of 30 words!

    FAHAM!

    anyway ni ikhlas ni...lepas baca review ko terus aku cari org tgk cerita ni weekend ni ... nasib ada nak ..dan it does not disappoint ..

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sign language to buat aku teringat kat satu kartun Bugs Bunny... cakap foreingn languange bkn main pjg tranlation pendek je... ckp satu perkataan translation dia pjg giler plak... haha

      Delete
  5. What I love the most is how they portray Caesar to be so alpha male. I could really see his authority.

    Credits to the visual effects team for making the apes so real! The expressions, urggh... so many feels.

    I love the tank scene so much. The first person view is like in games.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Caesar really was alpha... we knew he was the leader... even when he was sitting down and talking...

      The expressions from the apes really were marvelous! Great connection with us!

      Delete
  6. Good review Asrap. Wish it went deeper in certain parts, but nonetheless, it still worked as an emotionally-heavy summer blockbuster that didn't forget it was supposed to be fun as well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree with you Dan. Emotional heavy but fun!

      Delete
  7. Dude, Koba scared the crap outta me! Toby Kebbell was awesome. Great review!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He was! Him and Caesar makes great rivals!

      Delete
  8. Great review, and I'm glad I came back to it now that mine is finally posted.

    I love that you mentioned their sign language, as it's entirely ridiculous how a half-assed swipe of the hand could pretty much explain the most eloquent thought. I should have made that a Boo!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah... I know they are smart, but why didn't they just talk in ape language? Wait, I think I know why... they came from all corners of the globe so had different ape languages. Sign language unites them... haha!

      Delete
  9. Great review Asrap! Yeah I think Gary Oldman is underutilized here, and his character is very under-written. But that's a small quibble in an otherwise stellar film. I like Jason Clarke here but ultimately the star is Caesar and Andy Serkis did an amazing job once again.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, I agree Ruth. In fact Oldman's role could have been played by mostly anyone. Andy Serkis and most of the other's who played apes were amazing!

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...